Cablegate: Secretary of State
DE RUEHC #3696 3081337
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
P R 041333Z NOV 09
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN PRIORITY 4259
INFO MISSILE TECHNOLOGY CONTROL REGIME COLLECTIVE
RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING 1155
S E C R E T STATE 113696
E.O. 12958: DECL: 11/04/2034 TAGS: MTCRE PARM PREL MNUC ETTC KSCA IR CH GM
Classified By: ISN/MTR DIRECTOR PAM DURHAM FOR REASON 1.4 (C).
1. (U) This is an action request. Embassy Berlin, please see paragraph 3.
2. (S) Background/Objective: The United States has information indicating that in June 2009, Irans primary solid-fueled missile producer, the Shahid Bakeri Industrial Group (SBIG), sought information on a co-rotating twin screw extender manufactured by Germanys Brabender GmbH & Co from the Chinese firm M/S SEL Trade Limited. SBIG also requested quotes from SEL Trade for metering gear pumps produced by two other German companies, Mahr GmbH and Oerlikon Barmag. In August 2009, SBIG expressed interest in acquiring an Oerlikon Barmag metering gear pump from Karl Lee of Chinas Dalian Sunny Industries. (Note: Karl Lee is a serial proliferator who has provided large quantities of materials and missile- relevant equipment to SBIG. His companies are subject to U.S. nonproliferation sanctions. End note.) The equipment sought by SBIG could be used in an extrusion production line for the manufacture of tactical rocket systems and may be controlled by the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR). We want to alert German officials to this information and encourage them to take measures to prevent German firms from acting as suppliers to Iranian programs of proliferation concern.
3. (S) Action Request: Request Embassy Berlin approach appropriate host government officials to deliver talking points/non-paper in paragraph 4 below and report response. Talking points also may be provided as a non-paper.
4. (S) Begin talking points/non-paper:
--We would like to alert you to information of proliferation concern and request your assistance in investigating this activity.
--We have information indicating that in the summer of 2009, Irans primary solid-fueled ballistic missile developer Shahid Bakeri Industrial Group (SBIG) sought German-origin equipment that could be used in the production of tactical rocket systems from two Chinese suppliers.
--Specifically, we understand that in June 2009, SBIG requested pricing information for a co-rotating twin screw extender manufactured by the Duisburg, Germany-based Brabender GmbH & Co from the Chinese firm M/S SEL Trade Limited.
--SBIG also requested quotes from SEL Trade for metering gear pumps manufactured by Mahr GmbH of Gottingen, Germany, and probably Oerlikon Barmag of Remscheid, Germany.
--This equipment could be used by SBIG in an extrusion production line for the manufacture of tactical rocket systems. It may also be controlled by the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
--In addition, in August, SBIG expressed interest in acquiring an Oerlikon Barmag metering gear pump from Karl Lee of Chinas Dalian Sunny Industries.
--Karl Lee is a known proliferator who has provided large quantities of missile-relevant equipment and materials to SBIG.
--Companies associated with Karl Lee are subject to U.S. nonproliferation sanctions.
--We urge you to investigate this information and use all appropriate measures to ensure that German firms are not acting as suppliers to Irans missile programs.
--We look forward to continuing our excellent cooperation on nonproliferation matters and to hearing the results of your investigation of this case.
End talking points/non-paper
5. (U) Washington POC is ISN/MTR John Paul Herrmann (Phone: 202-647-1430). Please slug any reporting on this issue for ISN/MTR and EUR/CE.
6. (U) A word version of this document will be posted at .