World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Balibo Documents 'Almost Funny', Says Widow Shackl

PERTH, Sept 12 AAP: The widow of murdered Australian reporter Greg Shackleton today described newly-released documents about the 1975 killings of [four Australians and a New Zealander] in East Timor as "almost funny" and "Basil Fawlty-ish".

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer today released almost 900 pages of confidential diplomatic cables which showed Australia knew of Indonesia's plan to invade East Timor through Balibo three days before the newsmen died.

Shirley Shackleton said she had not seen the documents but believed some vital details had been withheld.

"It makes me suspect the ones (documents) that were withdrawn must be dynamite," Mrs Shackleton said.

"It's bizarre. It's almost funny. It's Basil Fawlty-ish."

Mrs Shackleton said the government should have acted to ensure the men's safety immediately upon learning of the imminent invasion.

"What should have been done was for Mr Whitlam to tell the Indonesian ambassador Mr Woolcott to go to the Indonesians and say 'the Australian and British men are in Balibo, see that they're not hurt'.

"It was as simple as that. They shouldn't have even had to have fought for a minute.

"It would've been bad enough if they'd done nothing, but what they've done was tell lies.

"It's time to put an end to the farce and get real.

"It's comforting to think we've got them on the run in that they felt they needed to do something (but) they're still covering up and carrying on with the same pantomime".

Greg Shackleton, a Channel Seven reporter, was among the five newsmen who had gone to Balibo to check out reports of Indonesian troops in the area.

He was killed along with Seven sound recordist Tony Stewart and cameraman Gary Cunningham from New Zealand, and Channel Nine crew Malcolm Rennie and cameraman Brian Peters, both British citizens.

+++niuswire

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE: http://www.pmw.c2o.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Assange's Hearing: Latest Observations From Court

Despite severe restrictions on observers, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is the only NGO that has gained access to the hearing, and we’ve managed to monitor proceedings on most days. We will continue to do so whenever possible. Yesterday I was in court ... More>>

Climate Change: Record Northern Heat, Fuels Concerns Over US Wildfire Destruction

More than 78,000 acres of forest in the Sierra mountains in California has been lost due to wildfires. Photo: San Francisco Fire Department The northern hemisphere experienced its warmest August ever, the World Meteorological Organization ( WMO ... More>>

ILO: Impact On Workers Of COVID-19 Is ‘catastrophic’

COVID-19 has had a “catastrophic” impact on workers, the head of the International Labour Organization ( ILO ) said on Wednesday, with lost working hours higher than originally forecast, and equivalent to 495 million full-time jobs globally in the ... More>>

UN: WHO Warns Against Potential Ebola Spread In DR Congo And Beyond

Ebola is spreading in a western province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), raising fears that the disease could reach neighbouring Republic of Congo and even the capital, Kinshasa, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday. ... More>>