TIMOR TODAY 22 NOVEMBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 22 NOVEMBER 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
Notice 22/11/00: The webmaster will be in East Timor for the next six days collecting information for the site upgrade. We apologies that during this time the news will not be updated. Hugh Ekeberg
1) Indonesian protesters attack Australian ambassador 22/11/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) The Howard Government will lodge a diplomatic protest after Australia's most senior diplomat in Indonesia, Mr John McCarthy, was attacked yesterday and bailed up for almost an hour by a group of about 20 pro-Jakarta East Timor protesters.
2) Ambassador describes mob attack 22/11/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) Australia's ambassador to Indonesia John McCarthy today described how a mob of demonstrators shoved, kicked and punched at himself and compatriots.
3) East Timorese refugees attack Ambassador John McCarthy 22/11/00 (Jakarta Post) MAKASSAR - An entourage including Australian AmbassadorJohn McCarthy was attacked by a group of East Timorese here on Tuesday during an inauguration ceremony of a new Australian insurance company building.
4) Protestors Pummel Australian Ambassador in Indonesia 22/11/00 (Lusa) Australia´s ambassador to Indonesia was roughed up Tuesday by a crowd angered by Canberra´s support for East Timor´s independence and the diplomat´s published comments that former armed forces chief General Wiranto had known of plans to unleash militia violence in the territory last year.
5) Wiranto outraged by Timor allegation 22/11/00 (AAP) Former military chief General Wiranto yesterday called on the Indonesian Government to take stern action against Australia over an accusation that he had "broad knowledge" of last year's violence in East Timor.
6) UN questions slow pace of reconstruction in East Timor 22/11/00 (ABC) A report by a UN Security Council mission has questioned the slow pace of reconstruction in East Timor, 14 months after it was razed by pro-Indonesia militia.
7) ´Defense, Dissuasion´ Mission of Future Military - Gusmao 22/11/00 (Lusa) East Timor´s future military forces will have "a defensive and dissuasive character" and will "contribute to regional peace and security", independence leader Xanana Gusmao said Tuesday in opening a donors conference in Dili.
8) International conference on East Timor's defence force opens in Dili 22/11/00 (UN) - An international conference aimed at helping East Timor develop its future defence force opened today in Dili, the capital of the newly independent territory.
9) Volunteers Return to East Timor 22/11/00 (Tempo) Sixty East Timor volunteer soldiers will reportedly return to Los Palos, East Timor today.
10) Timor - Returns Update 21 Nov 2000 22/11/00 (IOM) This morning the IOM-chartered ship the Patricia Anne Hotung set sail from Kupang with over 400 East Timorese refugees on board. In the cool morning air, as the returnees boarded the ship in Tenau port, most told IOM they were excited and positive about their future in East Timor.
11) Australia's Role in Reconstructing East Timor 22/11/00 (Lansell Taudevin) Section A The response from the international community. Section B Perceptions of progress. Section C Education. Section D Language and Culture.
Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org