World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Israel Claims Of Ease Refuted As Killings Continue

Blockade of West Bank Continues, Travel Restrictions Still Intact

IOF Shoot Dead Palestinian Woman, Settlers Uproot Hundreds of Olive Trees

A Palestinian woman was killed early Thursday while at home when at least ten Israeli tanks and 30 military jeeps and trucks, backed by two US-made Apache helicopters, invaded the old town of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, as facts on the ground and Palestinian sources refuted Israeli official announcements on Wednesday that the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) were easing their West Bank blockade.

Palestinian woman Imtiyaz Abu Ras, 38, was killed while at home early Thursday by a bullet in the neck when the IOF invaded the Qasaba of Nablus and opened heavy machine gunfire indiscriminately at the civilian population.

Media reports said that Palestinian activists defended their city and wounded two soldiers of the invading troops.

Meanwhile nothing on the ground in occupied Palestinian territories early Thursday vindicated the Israeli announcements on easing the military restrictions imposed by the IOF on Palestinian civilian population.

Israeli “defense” officials said Wednesday they had begun easing travel restrictions in the West Bank and were discussing the removal of illegal (termed “unauthorized” by Israelis) settlement outposts.

Palestinians said little had changed on the ground.

"We don't know … the extent of Israeli commitment to these (announced) measures," said Nabil Shaath, the Palestinian foreign minister.

At the Surda roadblock north of Ramallah, the IOF allowed pedestrians to pass but physical trenches and roadblocks remained intact. The crossing was jammed with hundreds of cars, people and donkeys early Thursday.

Other roadblocks and checkpoints were also still intact, and the operators of major bus companies in Nablus and Bethlehem said they still did not have permission to resume operations.

An IOF spokesman said the lifting of the restrictions was being carried out in steps. "I can assure you that people are feeling this (improvement) as we speak," the spokesman said.

"The movement of private vehicles (among towns) will be possible after the issuing of special authorizations" on an individual basis by the IOF authorities, an Israeli army statement said Wednesday.

The statement also confirmed the re-establishment of public transportation between towns.

However the easing of restrictions will not apply to Nablus and Jenin, in the northern West Bank, the statement added.

With a population of more than 130,000, Nablus is the largest city in the West Bank. The travel restrictions have disrupted the city's commerce and prevented people from nearby towns from reaching hospitals.

The IOF sealed off the West Bank a month ago but the occupation army chief of staff General Moshe Yaalon said last week that the blockade was proving counterproductive by encouraging extremism, including in traditionally quieter Palestinian areas.

The army chief was even summoned by “Defense” Minister Shaul Mofaz, who scolded him over his subversive comments but obtained no apology or retraction.

Settlers Chop down Hundreds of Olive Trees

Separately extremist Israeli illegal settlers have chopped down hundreds of olive trees grown on Palestinian farmland in the West Bank, sources on both sides told AFP.

Residents of the northern West Bank village of Sawiya said they discovered that hundreds of their trees had been sawn down just as they were about to begin harvesting.

The villagers had not been able to access their land near the settlement of Eli earlier as they needed authorization from the IOF.

Villagers in Hawara, close to Nablus, also said hundreds of their olive trees had been destroyed by Israelis in nearby settlements.

During a meeting with US ambassador to Israel Daniel Kurtzer, Israeli President Moshe Katsav "sharply condemned the uprooting of olive trees belonging to Palestinians", an official government statement said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Timor-Leste: UN Agencies Support Response In Wake Of Deadly Floods

United Nations agencies in Timor-Leste are supporting response efforts, as floods and landslides left widespread damage across the country, including in the capital, Dili. According to media reports, at least 21 people died in the country and many ... More>>

Myanmar: Stop ‘Widespread Violence’ Against Children, UN Officials Urge

Senior United Nations officials on Thursday strongly condemned the ongoing violence by Myanmar’s security forces against civilians, including children, as the members of the Security Council expressed alarm at the rapidly deteriorating situation in ... More>>

COVID-19 Origins Report Inconclusive: We Must ‘Leave No Stone Unturned’ – WHO Chief

The report from a team of international scientists assembled by the World Health Organization (WHO) to examine how COVID-19 first spread to humans was published on Tuesday, and was described by the UN health agency’s chief as a welcome start, ... More>>

Focus On: UN SDGs


Department Of Global Communications: UN Secretary-General António Guterres’ Message For World Health Day 2021

5 APRIL 2021 As COVID-19 Reveals Immoral Inequities in Health System, Secretary-General Observance Message Calls for Applying Policies, Assigning Resources to Ensure Everyone Thrives Following is UN Secretary-General António Guterres’ message for World ... More>>


Global Development: Responding To COVID-19 Pandemic, Young People Advocate For Bold Solutions

From climate action to addressing inequalities and building peace, youth leaders scale up efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals 7 to 8 April 2021 Follow on UN Web TV Youth leaders, activists and youth-led organizations around the world ... More>>

SDG Action Awards: Winners Announced

Mobilizing, inspiring, and connecting individuals around the globe to #TurnItAround for people and planet Bonn, Germany, 25 March - The 2020 SDG Action Awards Ceremony, which took place on 25 March as a part of the fifth SDG Global Festival of Action ... More>>