World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Miloševic Lawyers Ask To Be Removed From Trial

Miloševic Lawyers Ask To Be Removed From His Trial At UN War Crimes Tribunal

The lawyers appointed by a United Nations war crimes tribunal to represent former Yugoslav President Slobodan Miloševic against genocide charges have asked to withdraw from the case because the defendant is uncooperative.

Steven Kay and Gillian Higgins, who were appointed to the posts last month by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), said this week that Mr. Miloševic's refusal to cooperate with them meant they could not do their job nor meet the ICTY's own code of conduct.

"The accused has consistently refused to see us or speak with us. In these circumstances, we have conducted his case in the best way we could until the appeal against our assignment could be heard," they said in a letter submitted to the Tribunal on Tuesday. "We had hoped that in the meantime we might be able to generate cooperation between the accused and ourselves. This has not succeeded."

Mr. Kay and Ms. Higgins said it was impossible for them to know their client's "objectives of representation," a requirement of the code of conduct.

The two lawyers, both from the United Kingdom, were assigned to their roles by the ICTY in a bid to ease the workload of Mr. Miloševic, who is suffering from heart problems and had been representing himself. The appointment was also designed to reduce the chance of further delays in the already long-running trial.

But Mr. Kay and Ms. Higgins said their first task as assigned counsel was to appeal against the ICTY's decision to appoint them, "having heard the accused's wish to challenge that matter." A ruling on that question is expected within the next two weeks.

Mr. Miloševic is facing charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and other war crimes for his role in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Kosovo during the 1990s. His trial is due to resume on 9 November.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 


Ethiopia: Conflict, Drought, Dwindling Food Support, Threatens Lives Of 20 Million

Hunger is tightening its grip on more than 20 million Ethiopians who are facing conflict in the north, drought in the south and dwindling food and nutrition support beginning next month, the UN food relief agency warned on Thursday... More>>


Euro Med Monitor: Syria Cross-border Aid Mechanism Extension Is Necessary For The Survival Of Millions

Permanent members of the UN Security Council should extend the cross-border aid to northwestern Syria, Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor said Tuesday in a statement...
More>>


Commonwealth Secretariat: Island Nations Urge Commonwealth Leaders To Bolster Ocean Climate Action
Small island nations are calling for strengthened global support for ocean and climate change action, just days before Commonwealth leaders convene in Kigali, Rwanda... More>>

World Vision: Deeply Concerned For Thousands Affected By Afghanistan Quake
World Vision is deeply concerned about the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Afghanistan in the wake of a powerful earthquake in the early hours of this morning... More>>



Malaysia: UN Experts Welcome Announcement To Abolish Mandatory Death Penalty

UN human rights experts* today commended an announcement made by the Malaysian government that it will abolish the country’s mandatory death penalty and encouraged Parliament to take concrete steps to pass the agreement into law... More>>


Ukraine: Bachelet Briefs Human Rights Council On Mariupol
Excellencies, Further to Human Rights Council resolution S-34/1 adopted at its 34th Special Session, I present you with an oral update on the grave human rights and humanitarian situation... More>>