US Greens: Congressional Hearing on US Elections,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 7, 2004
Members of Congress to take Sworn Testimony on Wed. Dec. 8
Washington, DC -- On Wednesday December 8, Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) and other Members of Congress will hold a "Members Briefing" to investigate the voting irregularities in Ohio during Campaign 2004.
It will take place on December 8 starting at 10 AM in the Rayburn House Office Building in Washington, D.C. Although this is not a fomal "Hearing" -- because the Republican head of the Judiciary Committee has not given it his blessing -- it will nevertheless take sworn testimony about issues that deserve public scrutiny.
Democratic Representatives Melvin Watt, Robert Scott and others will be involved with the hearing. Among invited speakers are:
* David Cobb of the Green Party
* The Rev. Jesse Jackson
* Ralph Neas (President, People for the American Way)
* Jon Greenbaum (Director, Voting Rights Project, Lawyers Committee For Civil Rights Under Law)
* Ellie Smeal (Executive Director, The Feminist Majority)
* Bob Fitrakis (The Free Press)
* Cliff Arnebeck (Arnebeck Associates)
* John Bonifaz (General Counsel, National Voting Rights Institute and counsel for the Green Party's recount efforts in Ohio)
* Steve Rosenfeld (Producer, Air America Radio)
* Shawnta Walcott (Communications Director, Zogby International)
In the interest of fairness, Ohio Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell also has been invited to attend.
-- 30 --