World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

UN to Eritrea: reverse planned flight restrictions

Security Council urges Eritrea to reverse planned flight restrictions on UN mission

The Security Council today called on Eritrea to reverse its decision to restrict helicopter flights by the peacekeeping UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) in its air space.

In a statement read out on behalf of the Council, its president for October, Ambassador Mihnea Ioan Motoc of Romania, warned that the measures, set to take effect tomorrow, “will have serious implications for UNMEE’s ability to carry out its mandate and for the safety of its staff.”

Eritrea’s decision gravely contravened the Council’s previous call on both parties “to provide UNMEE with the access, assistance, support and protection required for the performance of its duties,” according to the statement.

Eritrea’s decision also contravened the Agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities the two Governments signed in Algiers on 18 June 2000, the Council said.

The Council urged both Eritrea and Ethiopia to show maximum restraint and refrain from any threat of use of force against each other.

Both parties bear the primary responsibility for implementing the Algiers Agreements and the decision of the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission in 2002, the Council said, underlining the need to implement the Commission’s decision on demarcating the boundary without further delay.

The Council further called on both parties to normalize their relationship fully through such means as political dialogue leading to the adoption of more confidence-building measures.

Last month as the Council extended the five-year-old UNMEE’s mandate to monitor the Temporary Security Zone between Ethiopia and Eritrea until mid-March, it expressed concern about the high concentration near to the zone of troops from the two countries.

At that time, the Council urged both Governments to refrain from escalating tensions or threatening to use force and to consider returning to the deployment levels that had prevailed as of late last year.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 




UN: “COVID-19 Is Not Over”, Tedros Warns World Health Assembly

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told global health Ministers on Sunday that although reported COVID-19 cases and deaths have declined significantly, it is not time to lower the guard... More>>



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>





Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>