World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

UN Quake Appeal Receives $580 Million In Pledges

UN Quake Appeal Receives $580 Million In Pledges, But Only $16 Million Up Front

Within hours of launching a newly increased Flash Appeal of $550 million for to save the lives of tens of thousands of earthquake survivors in Pakistan, the United Nations received pledges of $580 million, but only $15.8 million as actionable contributions.

“The good news is that we have very good pledges. The bad news for us is that we still have very little concrete commitments,” UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland told a news conference in Geneva last night at the end of a ministerial-level donors’ conference.

“It's been a pretty long day but I think it has been a good day. Sixty Member States took the floor and expressed not only their sympathy with Pakistan but also their contributions to the relief or reconstruction effort,” he said, noting that the new pledges brought the total of recorded pledges to nearly $1.3 billion.

Opening the conference, Secretary-General Kofi Annan told more than 300 participants from 100 countries that immediate contributions were needed to prevent a second shockwave of deaths from the 8 October quake which has already killed more than 50,000 people, injured more than 74,000 and left more than 3 million homeless.

Increasing the initial $312-million Flash Appeal issued two weeks ago by a further $238 million, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that tens of thousands in towns and villages had been cut off by quake damage from relief operations while the harsh Himalayan winter approached inexorably.

Thousands of injured had not yet been treated and their injuries, although treatable, were likely to prove fatal if they are not reached within days, it said, raising its estimate of people in need of immediate assistance to 1.6 to 2 million from 1 million, and stressing the need for urgent air support to move aid to remote areas before winter.

Mr. Egeland said he told Member States the UN could not wait for the contributions for weeks because by then, the snow would have fallen and it would no longer be able to reach many communities.

The UN needed to pre-position food and relief stock now, he added. Some of the UN agencies were running out of money, three, four, five weeks into the relief effort, which was a six-month marathon if this race was to be won against the clock, and death.

“I am hopeful,” he replied when asked if Member States did not understand the immediacy of the crisis, “but I am still worried that there will not be enough money.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Washington Riot And The Georgia Results
Hong Kong and Washington DC. On the same morning, the tyrants in power in Beijing and their counterpart in the White House have shown how they refuse to accept the legitimacy of any different points of view, and the prospect of losing power… More>>

WHO: Vaccination No Guarantee Of Virus Eradication

In the final World Health Organization (WHO) COVID-19 press conference of the year, on Monday, senior officials warned that the virus is 'not necessarily the big one', and that there is a real chance of another, more serious pandemic spreading ... More>>

Covid: Two Billion COVID Vaccine Doses Secured, WHO Says End Of Pandemic Is In Sight

The end of the pandemic is in sight but we must not let our guard down, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday, as he welcomed the news that the global vaccine partnership COVAX has lined up almost two billion doses of existing ... More>>

UN: Guterres To Seek Second Five-year Term
António Guterres will be seeking a second five-year term as UN Secretary-General, which would begin in January 2022.... More>>


UN Rights Office: Iran Execution Of Child Offender Breaks International Law

The execution of an Iranian man for a crime allegedly committed when he was 16 years old has been condemned by the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) and raised concerns over violations of his right to a fair trial. In a statement released on Thursday, ... More>>

UN News: Fighting Displaces Over 500,000 In Northern Mozambique, Reports UN Refuge Agency

Attacks by armed groups in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado, Nampula, Zambezia and Niassa provinces have displaced more than 530,000 people, many of whom have been forced to move multiple times, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said on Friday. According to ... More>>