World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

UN Agency Transfers New Congo Refugees to Burundi

UN Agency Transfers New Dr of Congo Refugees to Northern Burundi

New York, Nov 28 2005 6:00PM

The UN refugee agency is transferring more than 400 recently arrived refugees from the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), who say they are fleeing fighting between the DRC army and the Mayi-Mayi militia, to a camp in northern Burundi.

Addressing the group, Rose-Medee Dusenge said: "UNHCR will do its best to rapidly transfer those of you willing to move to Gasorwe camp."

The refugees unanimously agreed to join the 6,000 inhabitants of the camp, located well away from the Congolese-Burundian border, until the fighting and tensions ease in their home area in the Ruzizi plain of South Kivu.

The number of those who could be immediately transferred was limited by the 134 seats available. Another 98 people had been moved several days earlier.

"Widows and elderly go first, followed by people with large families," Ms. Dusenge told them.

The remaining 43 families, totalling more than 200 individuals, would have to catch the convoy planned for next week, she said.

None of the new refugees are wounded or suffering major health problems, but will be quarantined for a week because cases of cholera have been reported in the area from which they came.

While refugees are leaving some areas of South Kivu because of fighting, security conditions in other parts of the region, such as Fizi and Uvira, have recently improved enough to motivate many Congolese refugees to head home from Tanzania. UNHCR has begun assisting their return so as to ensure that they reach their destination safely and it is also operating reintegration programmes.

Burundi is hosting as many as 30,000 Congolese refugees, about 8,000 of them in two refugee camps and the others in urban areas.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 




UN: “COVID-19 Is Not Over”, Tedros Warns World Health Assembly

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told global health Ministers on Sunday that although reported COVID-19 cases and deaths have declined significantly, it is not time to lower the guard... More>>



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>





Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>