World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Attack Could Not Have Come From Behind Abkhaz line

Georgia: UN Finds Rocket Attack Could Not Have Come From Behind Abkhaz Lines

New York, Nov 1 2006 3:00PM

A rocket attack in north-western Georgia, where fighting between the Government and Abkhaz separatists 14 years ago forced nearly 300,000 refugees to flee their homes, could not have been launched from the Restricted Weapons Zone in Abkhazia, as had been previously reported, United Nations observers reported today.

The UN mission in Georgia (UNOMIG) said its investigators found that, while the GRAD rockets’ country of origin could not be determined, the attack last Thursday could not have been launched from the Tkvarcheli district, some 30 kilometres away, into the upper Kodori valley in the vicinity of Azhara.

Since the rocket engines found around Azhara were still working at the time of impact, their flight time was shorter and the distance covered from their launch site could only have been a fraction of their normal range. They must therefore have been launched from a location significantly closer to Azhara, UNOMIG added.

In the southerly direction, from which the rockets were launched, the southern ridge of the Kodori valley opposite Azhara rises to 1200-1400 meters. Given the normal trajectory of a GRAD rocket during the propelled phase, the investigation team concluded that the most likely scenario is that they were fired with the help of an improvised launcher from a location along that southern ridge.

Last month, the UN Security Council called on Secretary-General Kofi Annan to explore with both sides how they can build confidence, improve security and reduce tensions in the upper Kodori Valley and the districts of Gali and Zugdidi.

UNOMIG, set up in 1993 and expanded following the signing by the parties of the 1994 Agreement on a Ceasefire and Separation of Forces to verify compliance, currently has some 130 uniformed personnel, including 121 military observers and 12 police, supported by 100 international civilian personnel and 178 local civilian staff.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>



Ukraine: UN Rights Office Probe Spotlights Harrowing Plight Of Civilians

Almost 76 days since Russia invaded Ukraine, countless civilians remain caught up in the horror and destruction of war, UN rights investigators said on Tuesday... More>>



Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>