World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

ADF Reduces Numbers In Timor–Leste

Department of Defence Media Mail List
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPA 323/06 Thursday, 30 November 2006

ADF Reduces Numbers In Timor–Leste

Australian Defence Force (ADF) numbers on Operation Astute in Timor-Leste will be reduced to about 800 over the next few weeks as non-essential elements return home.

The Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, says he is very happy with the progress being made in Timor-Leste and as the situation allows, he will reduce the numbers to a force appropriate for the task.

“I don’t want to have ADF personnel away from their families for a day longer than is required, so to be able to bring these service men and women home before Christmas is very pleasing,” he said.

Approximately 120 personnel from Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (1 RAR) will return to Townsville in the second week of December. Bravo Company was deployed to Dili at short notice on the 9th of September to address the potential for deterioration in the general security situation following the escape of prisoners from Becora Prison.

In addition to the 1 RAR personnel, a small number of military police who were providing security to Timorese officials will return to Australia in the near future. Timorese security personnel will assume their duties.

The 800 personnel remaining in Timor-Leste will provide a robust and flexible response force which will continue to support the United Nations Police security operations. This force consists mainly of a battalion group based on the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (6 RAR) and other support elements to provide logistics, communication, engineering and mobility.

Further ADF drawdown will not be conducted to a set timeline, but will be based on careful monitoring of the conditions in Timor-Leste.


Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 


UN: UNHCR Chief Urges Better Support For 13 Million 'Exhausted' And Displaced Syrians
UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, has urged greater international support for the more than 13 million Syrians who’ve been displaced in the past 10 years...More>>


>UN: Recent Kosovo-Serbia Tensions Could ‘Unravel Steady But Fragile Progress’

Tensions over vehicle licence plates and anti-smuggling operations, between authorities in Kosovo and Serbia, in recent weeks, may contribute to unravelling “steady but fragile progress made in rebuilding trust among communities” in Kosovo and Serbia...
More>>

ITUC: Nobel Prize In Economics Explodes Minimum Wage And Jobs Myth

The prize was awarded to David Card, Joshua Angrist and Guido Imbens for real-world research in the 1990s that demonstrated, empirically, that the idea touted by conservative economists that higher minimum wages mean fewer jobs is not based on fact... More>>

Focus On: UN SDGs


UN: With Clock Ticking, Sustainable Transport Key To Global Goals
From electric cars and buses to zero-carbon producing energy sources, new and emerging technologies along with innovative policy changes, are critical for combating climate change. But to be effective, they must ensure that transport strategies benefit everyone, including the poorest... More>>


COP26: 7 Climate Action Highlights To Remember

A September to remember, a pivotal month for climate action commitments. From the United Nations General Assembly week to the final pre-COP meeting, last month was an important time to build momentum... More>>


UN: Global Leaders Set To Act To Increase Energy Access While Reducing Emissions At First UN Energy Summit In 40 Years

Significant new commitments for financing clean energy, increasing renewables and improving access to electricity are expected to be announced on 24 September at the UN High-level Dialogue on Energy... More>>