World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Rwandan Former Priest Sentenced for War Crimes

Rwandan Former Priest Sentenced to 15 Years’ Jail by UN War Crimes Tribunal

New York, Dec 13 2006 2:00PM

The United Nations war crimes tribunal for Rwanda today sentenced a former Roman Catholic priest who encouraged and directed the demolition of a church where about 2,000 Tutsis had tried to take shelter during the 1994 genocide – killing all those inside – to 15 years’ jail.

Athanase Seromba, the former priest of Nyange Parish in Kivumu commune in the west of the country, was found guilty of genocide and extermination as a crime against humanity by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), sitting in Arusha in neighbouring Tanzania.

But Judges Andrésia Vaz of Senegal (presiding), Karin Hökborg of Sweden and Gberdao Gustav Kam of Burkina Faso dismissed the counts of complicity in genocide and conspiracy to commit genocide. Mr. Seromba had pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The three judges said prosecutors had established beyond a reasonable doubt that a large number of Tutsis had sought refuge at his church on or about 12 April 1994 as Interahamwe militiamen and gendarmes surrounded the building and began to attack it with grenades.

Mr. Seromba later spoke to the driver of a bulldozer, encouraging and identifying when to start demolishing the parish building and which parts were the weakest. All those Tutsis inside the Nyange church were killed when the church was bulldozed and its roof subsequently crashed.

Mr. Seromba was arrested by Tanzanian authorities in February 2002 after surrendering to the ICTR following his arrival from Italy, where he had been working as a priest, allegedly under a false identity, in two parishes near Florence.

Some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were murdered, mostly by machete, across Rwanda in just 100 days starting in April 1994. The Security Council set up the ICTR in November that year to prosecute people responsible for genocide and other serious violations of international humanitarian law.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>



Ukraine: UN Rights Office Probe Spotlights Harrowing Plight Of Civilians

Almost 76 days since Russia invaded Ukraine, countless civilians remain caught up in the horror and destruction of war, UN rights investigators said on Tuesday... More>>



Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>