World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

DR Congo Army Suffers Setback Against Rebels


DRC Army suffers setback in offensive against rebels

Troops loyal to dissident general Laurent Nkunda in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have regained control of the town of Mushake in the eastern North Kivu province, which they had lost to government forces less than a week earlier, military sources said.

UN-supported Radio Okapi quoted the deputy commander of government troops in North Kivu, Colonel Delphin Kahimbi, as admitting the army had suffered some setbacks.

The UN Mission in DRC, MONUC, was more specific, with Major Prem Kumar Tiwari, MONUC's spokesman in Goma, North Kivu's capital, saying: "Nkunda's troops have taken up positions around Mushake and Mushake itself. The regular army is no longer present there."

A resident of Minova, a town in neighbouring South Kivu province, said some people fleeing fighting in Mushake had arrived there.

"There are some 30 families who have arrived, but there are also some soldiers from the regular army who fled the counter-offensive in Mushake," said Edouard Dunia, a human rights activist. Military officials were not immediately available to comment.

Earlier in December the army mounted an offensive against Nkunda's positions, saying its efforts to negotiate the integration of his forces into the regular army had come to nought. Nkunda has insisted he is fighting to defend the interests of members of the ethnic Tutsi minority in eastern DRC from discrimination.

Meanwhile, humanitarian agencies and MONUC have expressed concern over the safety of civilians in the North Kivu town of Kilolwire, where 14,000 people are thought to have sought sanctuary.

"It's a concern; operational solutions will be developed quickly. Constant communication must be kept with these people to warn them," MONUC's military commander, General Babacar Gaye, told a news conference in Goma on 10 December.

"Responsibility for the people who are currently in Kilolwire is shared between the people themselves, the parties to the conflict and the humanitarian community in conjunction with MONUC," added the general.

"We can propose solutions to ensure the security of these people but they must also take responsibility and not put themselves in a situation where they endanger their lives," he said.

ei/jn/am/mw

© IRIN. All rights reserved.

ENDS

SEE: Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UN: Violations Of Palestinian Rights Puts Two-State Solution At Risk, Chief Warns
The situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, continues to pose a significant challenge to international peace and security, United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, said on Monday... More>>



Oxfam: Afghanistan Faces Multiple Crises

ActionStation, Amnesty International Aotearoa New Zealand, Christian World Service, Oxfam Aotearoa and World Vision New Zealand say that while Afghanistan faces chronic poverty, persistent droughts, war, the Covid-19 pandemic and an economic crisis, winter is about to bring a whole new set of challenges...More>>

AFTINET: New COVID Strain Postpones WTO Meeting

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) Ministerial Meeting scheduled for November 30-December 3 has been postponed indefinitely because the new Omicron strain of the COVID-19 virus in African countries with low vaccination rates prevents many African and other delegations from attending the meeting...
More>>


Focus On: UN SDGs

Food: Three Billion People Cannot Afford A Healthy Diet

Approximately three billion people, almost 40 per cent of the world’s population, cannot afford a healthy diet and another one billion people would join their ranks should further unpredictable events reduce incomes by one-third, the UN food agency said, launching a new report on Tuesday... More>>

COP26: Enough Of ‘Treating Nature Like A Toilet’ – Guterres Brings Stark Call For Climate Action To Glasgow
As the World Leaders Summit opened on day two of COP26, UN chief António Guterres sent a stark message to the international community. “We are digging our own graves”, he said, referring to the addiction to fossil fuels which threatens to push humanity and the planet, to the brink, through unsustainable global heating... More>>


Climate: ‘Vague’ Net Zero Promises Not Enough: Planet Still On Track For Catastrophic Heating, UN Report Warns

New and updated commitments made ahead of the pivotal climate conference COP26 in the past months are a positive step forward, but the world remains on track for a dangerous global temperature rise of at least 2.7°C this century even if fully met, a new report by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has warned... More>>