World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Genocide Trial Adjourned After Karadzi Boycotts

New York, Oct 26 2009 7:10PM

The genocide trial of the former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadži opened today before a United Nations war crimes tribunal in The Hague but was then http://www.icty.org/sid/10250adjourned by a day after the defendant failed to attend the proceedings.


Judge O-Gon Kwon, presiding over the trial at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (">http://www.icty.org/">ICTY), said he hoped that Mr. Karadži would appear tomorrow and that the court’s registrar would send transcripts and audio recordings of today’s hearings to the accused.


“By this method, the chamber wishes to again encourage Mr. Karadži to attend these proceedings and reiterates that there are measures that may be taken should he continue to obstruct the progress of the trial,” Judge Kwon said.


Earlier this week Mr. Karadži; lost his appeal against a ruling that the trial should proceed despite his claim of immunity from prosecution due to an agreement he says he struck in 1996 with senior United States officials.


Mr. Karadži;, who served as president of Republika Srpska and as head of the Serb Democratic Party and supreme commander of the Bosnian Serb military forces, was arrested last year and transferred to the custody of the ICTY after more than 13 years on the run.


He is one of the highest-ranking officials to be indicted by the tribunal, which was established by the Security Council to deal with some of the worst crimes committed during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.


Mr. Karadži; is charged with two counts of genocide and a series of other crimes, including murder, extermination, persecution, deportation and the taking of hostages, related to actions taken against Bosnian Muslims, Bosnian Croats and other non-Serb civilians in Bosnia and Herzegovina between 1992 and 1995.


The indictment against him alleges he is responsible for the murder of more than 7,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys in the town of Srebrenica – which was supposed to be a “safe haven” – in July 1995 in one of the most notorious events of the Balkan wars.


He is also accused of being responsible for the shelling and sniping of civilian areas of Sarajevo during a 44-month siege of the city.


For more details go to UN News Centre at http://www.un.org/news


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

UN News: UN Strongly Condemns Knife Attack Inside Nice Church Which Left Three Dead

The UN Secretary-General on Thursday strongly condemned a knife attack inside a French church in the southern French city of Nice, which reportedly left three worshippers dead. In a statement released by his Spokesperson, António Guterres extended his ... More>>

ALRANZ: Denounces US Senate Confirmation Of Judge Barrett

ALRANZ Abortion Rights Aotearoa denounces the US Senate’s confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court seat formerly held by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. “This action demonstrates the rank hypocrisy of the once-respected upper chamber ... More>>

UN News: Millions Affected As Devastating Typhoon Strikes Viet Nam

A major typhoon has struck central Viet Nam, affecting millions of people – including about 2.5 million children – in a region already reeling from the effects of severe floods, according to UN agencies in the country. There are also reports that 174 ... More>>

Reporters Without Borders: Julian Assange’s Extradition Hearing Marred By Barriers To Open Justice

After monitoring four weeks of evidence in the US extradition proceedings against Wikileaks publisher Julian Assange, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates concern regarding the targeting of Assange for his contributions to journalism, and calls ... More>>