The Good Samaritan With Only Nails To Give
5 November 2009
Saleapaga Tsunami Story: The Good
Samaritan With Only Nails To Give.
A few days after the tsunami, a flag made of white cloth mark the place where it was once a family home at Saleapaga village which was completely destroyed by the tsunami. The white flag flutters in the sea breeze to reveal a message written on it. It reads ...‘Need Help: Need H2O Tank / Food; Hammer / Nails; Axe ... etc. Thank U!
Sometime after the flag was raised, a kind Samaritan passing by saw the flag, read the message and responded accordingly. We do not know who the Good Samaritan was? It could have been a visitor, a tourist, a neighbour, a volunteer helper, a fellow tsunami survivor, a government worker, or even an international relief agency?
However, one thing we are sure of. The Good Samaritan read the message which included a request for nails and responded caringly by leaving some nails on a brick near the raised flag. This Good Samaritan gave what he / she or they had, even if it was just a handful of nails (click link to view photos: http://eventpolynesia.com/tsunami09.htm)
We wish to acknowledge the many Good Samaritans who have been involved in providing tsunami relief efforts and the many donors. To our Good Samaritan who donated some nails, fa’afetai tele!
TSUNAMI SAMOA 09 FUNDS (TS09) Appeal will be sharing many stories of heroism and acts of kindness during and after the tsunami in Samoa. The stories are told by the survivors of the tsunami and volunteer helpers and written by Olo Elise Puni during his visits to the affected locations.
Over the next few days, Papaliitele Peter
Fatialofa supported by TSUNAMI SAMOA 09 FUNDS (TS09) Appeal
is collecting Christmas presents for the children affected
by the tsunami in Samoa to be delivered 1st – 3rd
December. We wish to thank the following sponsors and donors
• Doug Dennett and Agility Logistics for providing 40ft container, cartage, export documentation and freight costs landed into Apia Port free of charge.
• Richard Reed and Pacific Business Trust for the use of their site as the collection centre.
• Steven and New Zealand Energizer for the 400 packs of batteries for torches.
• Warehouse New Zealand (Manukau) for huge discount on battery operated transistor Radios.
• Pulotu Arthur Solomon and Martin Hautus Institute for financial donation.
Perhaps there is another
Good Samaritan out there who may wish to donate towards the
Christmas in Samoa collection. Here is how you can be part
of this special appeal – for the children:
• New Zealand public can donate school stationery and toys including a personal Christmas card.
• For those outside of New Zealand, you can make a donation to the Christmas in Samoa account.
ACCOUNT NAME: Tsunami Samoa
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 01-1837-0026899-02
BANK AND BRANCH: ANZ Sylvia Park Branch
SWIFT CODE/NUMBER: ANZBNZ22
• To the ‘Good Samaritans’
that are dropping off Christmas presents, we would like you
or your child to fill out a personalised Christmas card at
our collection centre to be included in the Shoebox if you
have not done so.
• To the ‘Good Samaritans’ that are donating money especially those overseas, please email your message or from your children to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will print it out and clue it to a personalised Christmas card.
• The personalised Christmas message and card is a wonderful opportunity for children and families overseas to make new friends in Samoa. It will certainly help Santa who needs pack and then write 3,300 cards for children affected by the recent tsunami in Samoa.