Staffer Killed In Kabul Guest House Attack
UNICEF Announces Name Of Staffer Killed In Kabul Guest House Attack
New York, Dec 1 2009 4:10PM The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has confirmed the identity of one of its staff members who was killed along with four other UN workers on 28 October when militants attacked a guest house in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Teshome Mandefro Ergete of Ethiopia had worked for UNICEF Afghanistan since September, serving as an expert in drilling wells for fresh water.
In a statement issued yesterday UNICEF’s Executive Director Ann M. Veneman said it was with “great sadness” that the agency confirmed that Mr. Ergete had been killed in the attack.
“His remains have now been formally identified through genetic testing, and his family has been informed,” Ms. Veneman said. “UNICEF extends its deepest condolences to Teshome’s family and friends. He died in the service of humanity.”
Mr. Ergete was killed alongside UN security officers Lawrence Mefful and Louis Maxwell and two volunteers with the UN Development Programme (UNDP), Jossie Esto and Yah Lydia Wonyene.
The militants attacked the guest house, which was home to more than 30 UN staff members, in the early hours of 28 October, armed with automatic weapons, grenades and suicide bomb vests.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and other senior UN officials paid tribute to the victims of the attack for their courage and their willingness to serve others.