What does "the great unveiling" really look like?
While Wall Street and corporate profits recover and reach new heights, the vast majority of Americans have experienced something of an apocalypse: a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of humankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception.
The "middle class," supposedly the group encompassing the majority of Americans, has been eviscerated by economic crises in health care, predatory lending and austerity. Instead of being "middle class," these people now find themselves squarely among the "99%."
How did this happen? This vast group of Americans has been searching for answers, and they're finding none in the sycophantic insider press or the whitewashed TV "news."
Truthout has been working to
explain the most important trends from nontraditional
perspectives. Take a look at some of our recent coverage and
consider donating to help us keep this work
• We are pushing forward stories of unarmed people of color being shot dead because people with guns (in this case a Chicago police officer) feel "threatened" by them.
• Our recent comic portraying the distinct experience of women in the labor force was published about a week before the mainstream news became obsessed with this question.
• Truthout's ongoing radio collaboration on revolutionary economics - broadcast in the biggest media market in the US - recently explored how capitalism's crisis deeply affects our mental health.
• Our recent reporting on the short-lived Occupy San Francisco Commune showed how radical action can challenge the premise that the combination of empty buildings and people without shelter is somehow justified by "market efficiency."
• Exclusive coverage of a civil liberties issue which is all but invisible reveals its implications - the aggressive and exponential growth of the security state - for all Americans.
This is what "unveiling" looks like. We're doing our best to strip away the narrative created by the corporatocracy and to expose the colossus that has been devouring our liberty and our democracy, before it's too late. But we can only continue this work with your support.
Please make a tax-deductible
contribution today - we'll put it to work
Click here to donate.
(Truthout is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. EIN: 20-0031641)