Book Reviews | Gordon Campbell | Scoop News | Wellington Scoop | Community Scoop | Search

 


NewsFlash: 1st So-Called "Terrorist" Granted Bail

NewsFlash: First So-Called "Terrorist" Granted Bail


By Alastair Thompson

The NZ Herald is reporting that Jamie Beattie Lockett, aged 46, of Takanini, in Manukau City has been granted bail in Auckland District Court by Judge Josephine Bouchier.

Lockett who elected to represent himself and waived the rights to name suppression (unlike 12 of the accused) insisted yesterday that he wanted to be heard in a bail application.

The four defendants in Wellington and most of the other defendants in Auckland and Palmerston North and one of these in Rotorua chose yesterday not to apply for bail and instead consent to being held in custody till Friday.

A hearing for bail for Rotorua accused Tame Wairere Iti is also being held today. See Scoop.co.nz for breaking news on the outcome.

In the Auckland hearing The NZ Herald reports that the crown introduced statements alleged to have been made by Jamie Lockett and intercepted by the crown (presumably under a warrant issued under the Terrorism Suppression Act).

According to the The NZ Herald.

"Crown opposed his bail application at the hearing this morning. It said police intercepted communications in which statements like the following had been uttered:

* "I'm training up to be a vicious, dangerous commando"

* "White men are going to die in this country"

* "I'm at war. I'm declaring war on this country very soon"

It described Lockett as someone who was an active participant in a group that had the potential to make a violent impact on New Zealand society.

But Judge Josephine Bouchier said that on the evidence before her at the moment, Lockett could not be considered to pose such a significant danger to the public that he should be in custody."

Jamie Beattie Lockett faces three charges for group posession of a firearm under section 45(1)b of the Arms Act 1983 for events which occurred in January, April and June.

(continuing…)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Top Scoops Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Looming Conflict Over The Iranian Nuclear Deal

Iran and the Trump administration are on a collision course over Iran’s testing of ballistic missiles, which Iran maintains are a valid part of its domestic defence planning. The US, via Trump’s national security adviser Michael Flynn, has put Iran “on notice” and imposed fresh sanctions. Undaunted, Iran has continued to test more missiles. More>>

John Quiggan: On Australia’s Flirtations With Trumpism

After the cataclysm of Trump’s election, quite a few US-based friends asked me about moving to Australia. I had, as they say, good news and bad news. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Top Scoops
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news