Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Number of patients culled from surgery list rises

Hon Tony Ryall
National Party Health Spokesman

29 January 2007

Number of patients culled from surgery list rises

The number of patients cut from surgical waiting lists despite being told that an operation is their best option, is going through the roof, says National’s Health spokesman, Tony Ryall.

In the year ending October last year, 13,697 patients were referred back to their GP after either having been promised surgery within six months or having been classed as needing surgery and put on active review.

"On top of this, 24,000 patients were removed from the waiting lists because of ‘changed patient circumstances’, meaning the patient said they didn’t need an operation anymore, had gone private or died.

“The cull is on a scale far bigger than ever admitted by the government. These numbers don't include the many thousands culled from the separate waiting list for a specialist’s appointment.”

Answers to parliamentary questions show the number of people sent back to their GP has doubled since the previous year and has continued to grow since 2001:

Years ending October
2001: 3,905
2002: 3,129
2003: 5,844
2004: 4,984
2005: 6,490
2006: 13,697

“This is a case of culling people to make waiting lists look shorter for cynical political reasons,” says Mr Ryall.

“These patients, who have been cast off the waiting lists, were in the hospital booking system because a specialist said they needed an operation. Sending them back to their GP is false economy - many will get sicker and then cost even more to treat.

“It is cruel to send someone to a specialist, acknowledge they need surgery and then cull them from them the waiting list.

“The truth is, elective surgery is becoming harder and harder to get for sick New Zealanders.

“Only people who are virtually crippled, housebound and on maximum medication are getting orthopaedic surgery at Dunedin Hospital, surgeons there say. It’s the statistics being treated while patients are left to suffer.

“National would be demanding a lot more from DHBs and health board supremos. They spend all their time blaming each other and the Ministry of Health for the lack of operations and patients struggling to be seen by specialists.

“No one is accountable for taxpayers putting $4 billion extra into health and getting fewer operations. We'd make it crystal clear that health bosses actually have to start working closely with their medical staff to get more people treated. If they can't do that, then those bosses won't have a future in the health service.

“The British have shown that with smart use of the private sector, involving specialists and GPs, and making managers properly accountable then it is possible to get more people treated faster.”

ENDS

Attachment:
Waiting List Cull – spreadsheet
Regional figures included

Discharges to GP by Moth, Year

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

RNZ Live Updates: SkyCity Fire Brings Auckland CBD To A Halt

The fire at Auckland's SkyCity international convention centre has been raging for more than a day resulting in nearby offices being shut, roads closed and health warnings being issued...

• The fire broke on the roof of the SkyCity international convention centre just after 1pm Tuesday.

• Fire and Emergency manager Ron Devlin says the plan is to "sacrifice the roof". Once materials from the roof have fallen in, crews can go into the fifth floor and put the fire out, he says. Photo: RNZ / Danielle Street More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Simon Bridges And Political Correctness

Having failed all year at being a credible alternative Prime Minister, National leader Simon Bridges has lowered his aspirational target this week to something more within his range. More>>

Bullying: Police Commissioner Announces Review

Police Commissioner Mike Bush has today announced an independent review of the systems and processes NZ Police has in place to address complaints of bullying. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Post-Cab: Now We Are Two

Questions covered Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters' comments on the potential closure of Mediaworks' television channels, the Auckland light rail planning process, the select committee report on the Zero Carbon Bill and its methane target range... More>>

Court Issues New Guildines: Revamp Of Meth Sentencing Welcomed

The court accepted submissions by both the New Zealand Bar Association and the New Zealand Law Society that rather than solely focusing on the quantity of meth involved, there should be greater focus on the role of the offender. More>>

ALSO:

'Armed Response Teams': Armed Police "Will Cause American-Style Shootings"

The Police Commissioner's announcement that squadcars of officers with automatic rifles will patrol New Zealand's streets is dangerous and unnecessary, according to the criminal justice community organisation People Against Prisons Aotearoa. The ... More>>

ALSO:

Control Orders: Amnesty Says Don't Rush Terrorism Bill

"The problem is, we often see the word “terrorism” being applied broadly by oppressive regimes to detain innocent people who're simply rallying for a better life." More>>

ALSO:

Expert Reaction: $17 million To Fight Online Extremist Content

The Department of Internal Affairs will double its work investigating and preventing violent extremism online. Funding will also help bolster the Chief Censor's work to make fast decisions about harmful content. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels