World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Soldiers To Watch Kids -Armed security for schools

By Mithleshni Gurdayal, Daily Post Fiji

SUVA: Armed soldiers are to provide security for Fiji's students and teachers when school reopens on Monday, it was revealed last night.

Schools throughout Fiji have been on extended five weeks forced holiday, after George Speight and his gunmen kidnapped prime minister Mahendra Chaudhry's government on May 19.

Acting Permanent Secretary for Education Emi Rabukawaqa said yesterday that police and the army would provide the necessary security to all schools in the Suva and Nausori area.

Mrs Rabukawaqa said the decision to commence classes next week was reached after the Home Affairs Ministry agreed to provide security to students and teachers.

"Police and soldiers will be stationed at schools in Suva, Nausori and Muainaweni to see that schools operate peacefully," Ms Rabukawaqa said.

"The Ministry of Education relies on Home Affairs as we ourselves can't act as security forces - because we are only an education body."

She said all schools should develop and put in place contingency and security arraignments for the safety of lives and property.

"Heads of schools that need police surveillance should contact the National Operations Centre to make security arraignments," she said.

"The Ministry appreciates the support, protection and encouragement provided to students, teachers and school managements to ensure the continued provision of education."

She said transportation shouldn't be a problem as the bus companies have agreed to provide regular school services to students and teachers.

"We are thankful to the bus operators who have agreed to provide normal services to the community when schools begin next week."

Bus Operators Association general secretary Shiu Charan said operators were ready to provide services to the children and teachers.

"We will do our best when schools reopen and hope that we will get the necessary security and support," Mr Charan said.

In other developments:

* The Daily Post reported that mills had been ordered to begin crushing from today by acting Sugar Industry Tribunal chairman Daryl Tarte.

* The Fiji Times reported that a nine-member committee was given the task of finding a solution to the political impasse.

This was decided after talks between the military, rebel leader George Speight's group and a Great Council of Chiefs delegation ended in deadlock.

The committee was reported to comprise three from each group. The council will be represented by Ratu Epeli Kanaimawi, Adi Litia Cakobau and Ratu Oseah Gavidi, Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama, Lieutenant-Colonel Filipo Tarakinikini and Colonel Jerry Waqanisau represent the military.

George Speight, Tevita Bukarau and Vodo Tuberi are from the rebel group.

* The Daily Post reported that the Ministry of Health had been warned to "brace itself" for an exodus of professional and technical staff over the next few months.

This was revealed in a report prepared by medical superintendent Dr Yogendra Narayan.

+++niuswire

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news