World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


UK's New Measures to Combat Knife Crime Epidemic

By Tom Rivers
London
13 July 2008

Britain Announces New Measures to Combat Knife Crime Epidemic

Britain's top law and order official, Jacqui Smith, has announced a number of new initiatives aimed at combating the country's growing knife crime epidemic.

Knife attacks on the streets of Britain are a growing problem, raising fears in communities up and down the country.

Four unrelated fatal stabbings one day last week in London brought to 50 the number of people slain by knife this year in the capital, and of those 20 were teenagers.

Britain's top law and order official is Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, speaking on Sky News, acknowledged the threat is real and growing.

"There are younger people who are now carrying and using knives, and therefore there are more young victims and I think that is a cause for concern," she said. "And I think, you know, all of us understand, whatever top level statistics might say, that this is a serious problem that even if it is not happening down your street, [it] makes you feel nervous and unconfident and that is what we need to address."

The government says new measures designed to rein in the knife threat on the street will be unveiled Tuesday.

One idea is to require problem pubs and nightclubs to screen customers for weapons prior to entry. Another measure Smith backs would force young offenders to meet knife-crime victims to see first hand the damage it brings to them and their loved ones.

"I think what would be tougher is actually being made to face up to the sorts of implications of young people carrying knives on our streets," added Smith. "What it means in terms of gruesome injuries, what it could well mean to you future if you end up in prison, what it means to the families of those who actually lose people through knife crime. And I am very keen that actually we make people face up to the consequence."

But opposition politicians like Iain Duncan Smith accuse Prime Minister Gordon Brown's government of stringing together a number of proposals that will grab headlines, but will fail to solve the problem.

"They are are not doing the whole package. The whole package deals with family break-down, drug and alcohol abuse, it deals with debt and really terrible debt and the doorstep lending that goes on these communities, the education system, which is appallingly bad, that give these people absolutely no choice, changing lots of that," said Iain Duncan Smith. "These are the big issues that we talk about. What Gordon Brown is doing at the moment is cherry picking into it, and it will not work. You have to do the whole thing."

At the Royal London hospital, Dr. Mike Walsh sees knife victims all too often. He says no single group is going to solve the problem. Walsh says a coordinated effort is what is required.

"In the long run I think the best approach for this is going to be prevention, which I think, so we do not have to do these operations at all or look after these young men. I suspect this is going to need a really coordinated effort between government, police, probably most importantly community groups and families," said Walsh.

Despite a media campaign warning teenagers that carrying a knife makes them more at risk, not safer, a recent six-week police operation in London involving random searches netted 500 knives.

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Demonetisation: Gordon Campbell On India’s Huge Socio-Economic Experiment

Without much coverage at all in the West, India has just been engaged for the past few weeks in one of the world’s biggest socio-economic experiments since the Cultural Revolution in China. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Death Of Fidel Castro

New Zealand likes to think we played our part – via the 1981 Springbok tour – in bringing the apartheid regime in South Africa to an end… Jacob Zuma treated the death of Fidel Castro at the weekend as an occasion to pay a heartfelt tribute to the thousands of Cuban soldiers who travelled across the world to inflict the first significant military defeat on the forces of white supremacy. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The US Election Home Stretch

Once again at the business end of a US election, the result will hinge on the same old bits of geography as always: the Five Crucial Counties in Ohio, the Two Crucial Counties in Pennsylvania and the I-4 Interstate Corridor in Florida that runs from Tampa Bay through Orlando to Daytona Beach. More>>

ALSO:

Meanwhile:

Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>

ALSO:

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news