World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Mubarak Urged to Halt Attacks on Journalists, Internet

Mubarak Urged to Halt Attacks on Journalists, Internet

For Immediate Release,
Washington, D.C., Friday, January 28 2011
Center for Public Policy Analysis

The Washington, D.C.-based Center for Public Policy Analysis is calling on Egyptian President Mubarak, and his public security and military forces, to immediately and unconditionally restore unfettered internet use to the people of Egypt and allow independent journalists access to the developing crisis in the country.

Thousands of largely peaceful protestors have clashed with police and army units in recent hours, including at Ramsis Square, Tahrir Square and the October 6th Bridge in Cairo Police and Egyptian Army units are firing rubber bullets and tear gas at the demonstrators, who have also been bludgeoned with batons. Many are calling on the President Mubarak to step down as President.

“During this crisis, we are calling on President Hosni Mubarak to embrace transparency and restore full internet access to the people of Egypt as well as cease the censorship of independent news sources, and internet communications, which are important to a free and open society in Egypt and elsewhere in the Middle East and North Africa,” said Philip Smith, Executive Director of the Center for Public Policy Analysis (CPPA) in Washingiton, D.C.

Internet usage and traffic by providers, including Telecom Egypt, Link Egypt, Vodafone/Raya and Etisalat Mist has reportedly been blocked today in Cairo and much of Egypt.

Mr. Smith further commented: “We are very concerned that, in the aftermath of the ongoing internet censoring and blockage, large numbers of Egyptian military and security forces have been mobilized as a result of demonstrations in Cairo and elsewhere in the Nile Delta and across the country.”

“There is growing concern in Washington, D.C., and in the U.S. Congress, that given the billions of dollars in American taxpayers’ money given to Egypt over the years, that Egyptian Army units, including those with armored vehicles, have been to deployed in Cairo in an apparent effort to head off peaceful protestors as well as silence journalists and news reporters seeking to cover these recent events,” Smith said.

“Based upon credible reports about the recent harassment and beating by Egyptian police of journalists from Al Jazeera, CNN, and the Arabic service of the BBC, we are also urging President Mubarak to intervene to stop the attacks on journalists and permit press freedom and accurate news reporting of breaking developments in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt,” Smith further stated.

“We are strongly urging Mubarak to halt attacks on journalists and cease the internet censorship,” Smith concluded. “Military and security force attacks against peaceful protestors should also cease.” http://www.centerforpublicpolicyanalysis.org


Internet instant messaging, social network sites and other forms of internet and mobile telephone communications have been blocked by the Mubarak government in an apparent effort to stifle protestors, anti-government opposition groups and political dissidents in Egypt.

President Mubarak has ruled Egypt for three decades..

The United States provides some $1.3 billion dollars in annual military assistance to the Mubarak government in Egypt--with tens of billions in U.S. taxpayers’ assisting being provided to the Egyptian military over the last three decades of President Mubarak’s rule.

State-run television has announced a curfew in Egypt.

Egypt is besieged with rampant unemployment, rising food prices and other problems.

The Egyptian crisis follows earlier protests in Tunisia that resulted in the ousting of its former President Ben Ali Zine El Abidine who was given asylum in the Kingdom of Saudia Arabia earlier this month.

Protests in Jordan are calling for the resignation of its Prime Minister.

###

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 


21 Egyptians Beheaded

Egyptian jets bombed Islamic State targets in Libya on Monday, a day after the group there released a video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians, drawing Cairo directly into the conflict across its border. More>>

Protests In Bil’in Honoring Slain US Citizens

Protesters at demonstration in Bil’in honoring slain US citizens face attacks and arrests by Israeli forces. More>>

Resolution Targeting Sources Of Financing For ISIL

Ambassadors representing two countries under attack from ISIL, Bashar Ja’afari (right) of Syria, and Mohamed Ali Alhakim of Iraq, speak to journalists following the adoption of a Security Council resolution targeting sources of financing for ... More>>

ALSO:

  • U.S. Department of State - Support for Authorization for Use of Military Force
  • "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    "Pakistan Probably Harboured Osama Bin Laden"

    Former ISI head Lt. Gen. Asad Durrani tells Al Jazeera Pakistan probably harboured Osama Bin Laden More>>

    ISM Honours Kayla Mueller

    Abdullah Abu Rahma, coordinator of the popular committee in the village of Bil’in where Kayla joined the protests, told ISM: “Kayla came to Palestine to stand in solidarity with us. She marched with us and faced the military that occupies our ... More>>


    US Measles Outbreak: UN Urges Parents Vaccinate Children

    3 February 2015 – Parents in the United States must vaccinate their children against measles in order to maintain the high levels of immunity necessary in keeping outbreaks of the aggressively contagious virus small and contained, the United Nations World ... More>>

    Ebola: Large-Scale Vaccine Trials Under Way In Liberia

    WHO welcomed the donation by the Public Health Agency of Canada of 800 vials of one of the leading candidate Ebola vaccines, rVSV-ZEBOV. Photo: WHO/M. Missioneiro (file) More>>

    Security Council Denounce Murder Of Jordanian Pilot

    3 February 2015 – For the second time in as many days, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Security Council have jointly condemned the brutal killing of a civilian by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) – this time deploring ... More>>

    Get More From Scoop

     
     
     
     
     
    World
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news