Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Sewage treatment plant upgrade reaches first milestone

Sewage treatment plant upgrade reaches first milestone


Heavy rain over the last few days and weeks and the cold winter months have failed to slow substantive progress on Timaru District’s major sewerage upgrade.

The first major concrete pour on the $15 million domestic wastewater treatment plant upgrade on Aorangi Road at Seadown took place this week, signalling the beginning of the building and plant construction phase of the project.

The concreting milestone will also lead to a process of on-site pipeline realignment that will connect the new Timaru City industrial sewage line into the former domestic treatment plant intake, and reroute the former domestic milliscreen plant feed to the new domestic pump station being built alongside.

The new connections represent a major advance in the way the district processes, treats and discharges its wastewater. The separate domestic and industrial waste streams necessary for enhanced effluent discharge quality were provided for in a five-stage upgrade of the main trunk sewer over the last few years. The project is the culmination of years of council planning via its Timaru District Wastewater Management Strategy.

Timaru District Council drainage and water manager Grant Hall said today the first concrete pour would install the floor and a wall upstand for the new domestic pump station directly adjacent to the existing milliscreen plant. This pour would be followed by the floor and wall upstand for the new peak flow pump station, just next door.

He said progress on the entire project was excellent with a good run for earthmoving contractors who, over an 18-month construction timeline, will carry out earthworks over a total of approximately 48 hectares on both sides of Aorangi Road as well as a number of separate projects. More than 30 hectares of primary oxidation ponds, eight hectares of maturation ponds and 10 hectares of wetlands will be constructed.

“Silt that we are harvesting to line the ponds and wetlands is showing up to be more plentiful than forecast which is great,” Mr Hall said.

Work was progressing on several fronts simultaneously, he said.

“Cut-off drains were also being constructed at the same time as pond profiling and equipment procurement such as screens, pumps, and associated infrastructure is well in hand.”

Mr Hall said the project was having no impact on neighbours and was well meeting environmental requirements.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels