Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Scallop season start prompts safety warning


Scallop season start prompts safety warning

September 01 hails the official start of both Spring and the scallop season – but it also comes with a safety warning for those seeking the seasonal delicacy in Northland.

Chidambaram Surendran, the Northland Regional Council’s Deputy Harbourmaster, says every scallop season the council receives reports of narrow misses and other issues when good diving practises aren’t followed.

“In the Bay of Islands in particular, a number of boat skippers have reported only just noticing divers and being forced to take last-minute evasive action to avoid them because dive flags were nowhere to be seen or dive boats were not anywhere near the divers.”

Mr Surendran says it’s vital for the safety of all parties that it’s clearly signalled when divers are in the water as divers risk serious injury – or even death – if they are hit by boats or their propellers, especially if the vessels are travelling at speed.

He says under Northland Regional Council bylaws, a dive flag must be displayed so it is clearly visible from another vessel 200 metres away.

“The blue and white flag needs to be at least 60cm by 60cm in size and divers have a responsibility to ensure it is flying before they enter the water.”

“The dive boat is required to remain within 200 metres of the divers at all times – and be prepared to assist quickly if required – and divers have an equal role to play in ensuring they stay within 200 metres of the boat.”

Mr Surendran says other vessels should keep a good lookout for divers in the area – especially the usual spots favoured by those hunting scallops - and should not exceed five knots within 200 metres of a vessel flying a dive flag.


“We’d prefer if other vessels simply gave both divers and dive boats a really wide berth. Divers can be seriously injured if their presence below the surface is not made obvious to other vessels nearby and propeller strikes can be fatal if a diver surfaces near a moving boat.”

Mr Surendran says the regional council’s maritime officers will carry out patrols this year during the start of the scallop season to ensure good diving practices are being followed and to encourage safety.

He says while typically the council prefers to educate rather than issue enforcement notices, “it’s worth noting that an infringement fee of $200 applies for diving-related non-compliances of the Navigation Safety Bylaw requirements”

Mr Surendran says a wealth of information about maritime safety and rules generally is available from the regional council’s website via: www.nrc.govt.nz/onthewater

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Geo-political Posturing Over China’s Cyber Hacks, Plus The Weekly Playlist

The timing was one of the weirder aspects of this week’s cyber condemnation of China by the West. Why was this piece of political theatre being staged now? China (and Russia’s) sponsoring and/or condoning of semi-state and criminal hacker groups has been known about for nigh on a decade. More particularly, Microsoft had been alerted to the flaws in its Microsoft Exchange... More>>




 
 


Government: Quarantine Free Travel With Australia Suspended

Quarantine Free Travel from all Australian states and territories to New Zealand is being suspended as the Covid situation there worsens, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins announced today... More>>

ALSO:


Government: New Zealand Condemns Malicious Cyber Activity By Chinese State-sponsored Actors

New Zealand has established links between Chinese state-sponsored actors known as Advanced Persistent Threat 40 (APT40) and malicious cyber activity in New Zealand. “The GCSB has worked through a robust technical attribution process in relation to this activity. New Zealand is today joining other countries in strongly condemning this malicious activity... More>>

ALSO:

Government: Commits $600,000 To Flood Recovery

The Government is contributing $600,000 to help residents affected by the weekend’s violent weather with recovery efforts. Acting Minister for Emergency Management Kris Faafoi and Agriculture Minister Damien O’Connor have been in the Buller district this afternoon to assess flood damage and support the local response effort... More>>

ALSO:



NZUS Council: Welcomes Nomination Of Senator Tom Udall As US Ambassador To NZ

The NZUS Council welcomes the nomination of Senator Tom Udall to the role of US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, NZUS Council executive director Jordan Small said... More>>

BusinessNZ: Visa Extensions Welcomed
BusinessNZ has welcomed the extension of some critical skill visa durations and changes to immigration systems to speed processing. Chief Executive Kirk Hope says move acknowledges advocacy by the hospitality sector, the BusinessNZ Network and others, and comes not a moment too soon.... More>>



Social Development: Government Initiatives Contribute To Fall In Benefit Numbers

Minister for Social Development Carmel Sepuloni has welcomed the release of the June quarter Benefit Statistics which show a continuing fall in the number of people receiving a Main Benefit... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels