Thursday 16 Nov: No Metlink train services due to strike
Thursday 16 November - no Metlink train services due to a full-day strike
Valid from: 14/11/2017 12:00am
Due to strike action on Thursday 16 November no Metlink train services will be running.
Unfortunately the Rail Maritime Transport Union are on strike for the whole day from 2am on Thursday 16 November until 2am Friday 17 November, so there are no staff to run trains.
There will be no train services. At this point in time, there will be no bus replacements either although we are exploring options. In the meantime, please make alternative travel arrangements and check our site regularly for updates.
• Train commuters should make alternative transport arrangements or consider not travelling at all.
• Motorists and bus users should expect delays caused by heavy traffic, and should also consider making alternative arrangements, including travelling earlier or later or not at all.
• Parents and caregivers should re-evaluate their plans if their children cannot get to school during strike action.
• Students sitting exams need to factor train cancellations and road congestion into their travel plans – as should people travelling to Wellington Hospital or Wellington airport.
On a regular weekday in Wellington over 30,000+ passenger journeys are by train. With short notice we are not able to source enough buses to transport this number of passengers.
For alternative travel information please see below;
Bus timetables - https://www.metlink.org.nz/#timetables (external link)
Walking & Biking - https://www.metlink.org.nz/getting-around/using-a-cycle-on-pt/cycling-and-walking-journey-planner/ (external link)
Car-Pool - https://www.metlink.org.nz/getting-around/lets-carpool/ (external link)
Wellington Railway Station
There will be no access to platforms from the Wellington station concourse or the stadium ramps. Platform 9 and the adjacent Ferry and Long distance bus stop will also still be open for access. All businesses within the Wellington railway station will be unaffected and there will still be access to the bus terminal from the station.
All outer station ticket offices will be closed.
Thank you for your understanding during the Rail and Maritime Transport Union (RMTU) strike action. We apologise if your travel plans have been affected and assure you that we are committed to our discussions with the RMTU to prevent future strike action, and minimise any disruption to passengers.
Regular services will resume on Friday 17 November.
For updates and more information:
• follow @metlinkwgtn on Twitter
• call Metlink on 0800 801 700
• check www.transdevwellington.co.nz (external link) for information on industrial action.