State Highways: Warnings & Closures
Canterbury (Including Alpine / Mountain Passes)
• SH 77 Methven to Darfield – Bridge Repairs – Delays - During dayshift work from 8 am to 5:30 pm Monday to Friday, there will be 20-minute delays while the bridge is under Stop / Go management. The bridge will be open for 10-minutes on every hour and half hour. Work crews will avoid delays during peak traffic times if possible. Night closures of the bridge are now complete. Detour route: The alternative for anyone travelling from Christchurch to Mount Hutt is to go via SH1 to avoid delays in the gorge.
• SH 7 Waipara SH1 Junction to Culverden – Delays – Road Works – Due to guard rail installation, near Weka Pass Loop Rd, there is traffic control with a 30km/h temp speed restriction in place until 31st January 2019. Road users are advised to adhere to the lower speed limit and allow extra time for their journeys.
• SH 6 Fox Glacier to Haast – Delays – Resurfacing – Stop / Go will be in place during work on the highway surface. Delays of up to 20 minutes can be expected, plan your journey accordingly.
• SH 67 Mokihinui to Westport (Mokihinui River Bridge) – Delays – Bridge Repairs – Due to works, the Mokihinui River Bridge will be under Stop / Go traffic management between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, until late December. Road users are advised to expect delays of up to 30 minutes, and to plan their journey accordingly.
• UPDATE: SH 6 Queenstown to Lumsden – Crash – ROAD CLOSED – near the intersection with Allandale Road. No local road detour available. Road users are advised to consider alternative route. The road is likely to remain closed until the afternoon.
• SH 6 Cromwell to Frankton (Tucker Beach Intersection) - Delays – Road Works – Due to utility installation works near the intersection with Tucker Beach Road, there will be a temporary speed restriction in place and no right turns in and out of this street. These works are expected to be in place until mid-December. Road users are advised to expect delays and to take extra care.
• the State Highway 6 closure due to a bus/car fatality crash in Southland, between Kingston and Five Rivers (SH97) after 7 am means this highway may remain closed until this afternoon. Road users are advised to delay their journeys or reschedule. No detour is available.
MetService - Severe Weather Warnings
MetService - Road Snowfall Warnings
Issued at: 8:48pm Wednesday 31 Oct 2018. Valid until: 11:00am Thursday 1 Nov 2018
Lewis Pass (SH7)
A brief period of snow is expected early Thursday morning. Between 3am and 8am Thursday, 1 to 3cm may accumulate about the top of the road, with lesser amounts to 700 metres.
• Arthur's Pass (SH73)
A brief period of snow is expected overnight Wednesday and early Thursday morning. Between 1am and 5am Thursday, 1 to 2cm may accumulate about the top of the road, with lesser amounts to 800 metres.
• Porters Pass
A period of snow is expected overnight Wednesday and early Thursday morning. Between 1am and 5am Thursday, 3 to 6cm may accumulate above 800 metres with lesser amounts to 700 metres.
• Lindis Pass (SH8)
A brief period of snow is expected tonight. Between 9pm and 3am Wednesday, 1cm of snow may accumulate about the summit of the road.
• Crown Range Road
A period of snow is expected tonight. Between 8pm Wednesday and 3am Thursday, 1 to 2cm may accumulate on the road above 900 metres.