South Island Weather Event update – 4:30pm
The NZ Transport Agency is advising road users to continue to drive with care, and to plan ahead for journeys this evening and over the weekend as severe weather continues to affect South Island roads. Temperatures have plummeted across the South Island, and travellers are reminded to be prepared for winter driving conditions, and carry warm clothing.
SH73 Springfield to Arthurs Pass (Porters Pass) is currently closed due to snow. Met Service have forecast this will clear by midnight.
SH6 from Hokitika to Franz Josef is now open. Drivers are being urged to drive with extreme care and at safe speeds, as there will still be debris and surface flooding affecting many sections of road, with temporary speed restrictions and lane closures in place in several areas.
State Highway 1 on the Kaikoura Coast continues to be monitored. The road is currently open, but it is subject to closure depending on weather conditions, and drivers are urged to check the latest conditions before starting their journeys.
Transport Agency Systems Manager Pete Connors says SH73 from
Arthurs Pass to Jacksons will not open over
the weekend, with the next update at 12pm Monday, 12
November. There is an alternate route in place via Lewis
Pass SH7, and drivers are advised to factor in an additional
90 minutes for their journeys.
“We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause, and we’re asking people to be patient and drive with extra caution. Our contractors are working hard to get the roads open again. Please add extra time to your journey and keep updated on the road conditions.”
Please check the MetService severe weather warnings for updates.
Travel Information Map www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic.
State Highways: Warnings &
Nelson / Marlborough
• SH 6 Renwick to Rai Valley – Caution – Strong Winds - Extra care is required by caravans, campervans, high sided vehicles and motorbikes.
• SH 6 Hira to Whangamoa– Caution – Strong Winds - Extra care is required by caravans, campervans, high sided vehicles and motorbikes.
• SH 60 Riwaka to Takaka – Caution – Rain - Road users are advised to plan ahead for their journeys and to take extra care on this road, due to forecast rain between 10 am Thursday & 9 am Saturday.
Canterbury (Including Alpine / Mountain Passes)
• SH 73 – Arthurs Pass to Springfield – ROAD CLOSED - Snow - The road is now closed due to road snowfall. The next update will be at 5 pm this afternoon.
• SH 82 Waimate to Kurow – Caution – Flooding - Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 8 Timaru to Fairlie - Caution – Flooding – Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 79 Fairlie to Rangitata - Caution – Flooding – Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 1 Rakaia to Washdyke - Caution – Flooding – Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 77 Mount Hutt to Ashburton - Caution – Flooding – Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 7 Hanmer Turnoff to Springs Junction (Lewis Pass) – Caution – Strong Winds - Care required by caravans, campervans, high sided vehicles and motorbikes.
• SH 1 Ashburton – Caution - Flooding - Near the intersection with Walnut Avenue. Road users are advised to take extra care.
• UPDATE: SH 73 Jacksons to Arthurs Pass – ROAD CLOSED - Slip – Road is closed due to surface flooding, slips and washouts. The next update is 12 pm Monday, 12th November. Detour route: Consider using SH7 Lewis Pass as an alternative route. Please not this will add approximately 90-minutes to your journey time.
• NEW: SH 6 Hokitika to Franz Josef – Caution - Flooding – Due to adverse weather conditions through this area the road is down to one lane at different locations. Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 6 Franz Josef to Fox Glacier - Caution – Fallen tree/s across highway – Slip at Omoeroa River Bridge, Traffic lights are in place. Expect Delays.
A general warning has been issued for Central Otago, advising of multiple rock falls & surface flooding. Road users are advised to reduce speed & drive to the conditions.
• SH 83 Otematata to Pukeuri – Caution – Flooding - Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH8, 80 Omarama to Fairlie (including Burkes Pass) – Caution – Snow – Road users are advised to take extra care.
• SH 90 Tapanui to McNab SH 1 Junction (Willowbank) – Caution – Flooding – Due to surface flooding near Waikaka Rd intersection, there is a temporary speed restriction of 30 km/h in place. Road users are advised to take extra care.