Third Win For Luna Rossa In Two Days
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
OCTOBER 24, 2002
THIRD WIN FOR LUNA ROSSA IN TWO DAYS
After yesterday's double victory against Mascalzone Latino and Oracle BMW Racing, today Luna Rossa ITA 74 races against Stars & Stripes, the yacht from Team Dennis Conner that was defeated yesterday by GBR Challenge.
The weather conditions are good today on the Hauraki Gulf, with a Northerly breeze of 10-15 knots and clear sunny sky. Luna Rossa and Stars & Stripes opt for a split tack start, with ITA 74 at the pin end and USA 66 at the Committee Boat. Rod Davis is at the helm of ITA 74 during the start.
Good first leg for Luna Rossa who takes an early lead over USA 66 and controls well the opponent in their approach to the first mark, where ITA 74 rounds with a 20 seconds advantage.
During the first downwind run, Luna Rossa maintains her lead defending her position and rounds the second mark ahead of Stars & Stripes by 11 seconds. In the second beat the two boats sail a long tack on the left side of the course in a slightly stronger breeze, around 12 knots.
Luna Rossa extends her lead and rounds mark number three 29 seconds ahead of USA 66. In the second run the wind shifts further to the left and Luna Rossa maintains her lead controlling Stars & Stripes.
At mark number four Team Prada leads by 24 seconds. After a race sailed all in the lead, Luna Rossa goes to win this second match of Round Robin Two with a delta of 41 seconds over USA 66 of Team Dennis Conner.
FLIGHT 2 OF ROUND ROBIN
TWO - Off Wight Lightning GBR 70
Match 1 Orm SWE 73 wins against Le Defi FRA 69 (1' 19" lead)
Match 2 Oracle BMW Racing USA 76 wins against Mascalzone Latino ITA 72 (2' 40" lead)
Match 3 Alinghi SUI 64 wins against OneWorld USA 67 (27" lead)
Match 4 Luna Rossa ITA 74 wins against Stars & Stripes USA 66 (41" lead)
TODAY'S CREW ON LUNA ROSSA
1. Bowman, David Blanchfield
2. Mid bowman, Alberto Barovier
3. Mastman, Simone de Mari
4. Pitman, Cristian Griggio
5. Left grinder, Massimo Galli
6. Right grinder, Romolo Ranieri
7. Upwind trimmer, Lorenzo Mazza
8. Downwind trimmer, Andrew Hemmings
9. Mainsail trimmer, Sean Clarkson
10. Center grinder, Massimo Gherarducci
11. Helmsman, Francesco de Angelis
12. Tactician, Torben Grael
13. Afterguard, Rod Davis
14. Downwind grinder, Daniele Bresciano
15. Strategist, Michele Ivaldi
16. Navigator, Matteo Plazzi
Windward leeward course of 18.5 miles, six legs total, three windward legs and three downwind legs; first and last legs are 3.25 miles, the remaining four are 3.00 miles.
WEATHER CONDITIONS TODAY
Wind from N 10-15 knots. Mainly sunny.
CURRENT OVERALL STANDINGS AFTER DAY TWO OF
ROUND ROBIN TWO
1. OneWorld Challenge, 9 pts (9 wins out of 10 races) *
2. Alinghi Swiss Challenge, 9 pts (9 wins out of 10 races)
3. Oracle BMW Racing, 6 pts (6 wins out of 10 races)
4. Prada Challenge, 6 pts (6 wins out of 10 races)
5. GBR Challenge, 5 pts (5 wins out of 9 races)
6. Team Dennis Conner, 4 pts (4 wins out of 10 races)
7. Victory Challenge, 4 pts (4 wins out of 9 races)
8. Mascalzone Latino, 1 pt (1 win out of 10 races)
9. Le Defi Areva, 0 pts (0 wins out of 10 races)
* OneWorld will be penalised one point at the end of Round Robin Two.
CALENDAR FOR TOMORROW - OCTOBER 24
FLIGHT 3 OF ROUND ROBIN TWO - Off Oracle BMW Racing USA
Match 1 Luna Rossa ITA 74 versus Le Defi FRA 69
Match 2 Alinghi SUI 64 versus Mascalzone Latino ITA 72
Match 3 Stars & Stripes USA 66 versus Orm SWE 73 *
Match 4 Wight Lightning GBR 70 versus OneWorld USA 67
* Match broadcasted live on TV.
WEATHER FORECAST FOR TOMORROW
Wind from N 20 knots becoming NW 15 knots in the afternoon. Periods of rain.
During Round Robin Two each team races once against every other team. Every day the Race committee gives the start to four match races, two on race course Romeo and two on race course Juliet. The first start of the day is always at 12:15 pm local time, while the last start of the day cannot take place after 4:00 pm. Matches on the same race course start at ten minute intervals. At the end of Round Robin Two the team with the lowest overall score will be elimnated from the Louis Vuitton Cup. The remaining 8 teams will proceed to the Quarter Finals.