Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup Day - Saturday 12 March
Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup Day - Saturday 12 March, Ellerslie Racecourse
What: Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup Day
Arguably the most prestigious day of thoroughbred horse racing in the New Zealand calendar and the pinnacle of Auckland Cup Week – a spectacular day of racing and fashion, with exquisite hospitality and entertainment.
Including the running of 3 x Group 1 races – $500,000 Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup, $200,000 Sistema Diamond Stakes, $200,000 Bonecrusher New Zealand Stakes.
When: Saturday 12 March 2016, 10.30am
– 9pm (last race at 6.02pm)
Where: Ellerslie Racecourse, 80 Ascot Ave, Remuera
Social Scene: Six current Blues players
chaffeur guests in gold carts around the course, courtesy of
Barfoot & Thompson.
Celebrity chef (MasterChef) George Calombaris joins NZ chef Ben Bayly and Crusader Kieran Read in the Swisse Glasshouse.
Masu chef Nic Watt, a jeroboam (15litre) bottle of Mumm Cordon Rouge, sabrage demonstations, confetti cannons, DJ duo Sweet Mix Kids and VIPs in the Mumm Racing Village.
Fashion: National Fashion in the Field final - Viva Prix de Fashion. $30,000 prize package up for grabs and the chance to represent NZ during the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Behind the scenes/backstage fashion perspective before the competition, contestants on catwalk (heats start at 2.25pm, winner announced at 3.15pm)
Celebrity judges: Rebecca Stoneman, Melbourne-based model and Victoria Racing Club ambassador, Amber Pebbles and Janetta McKay, beauty writer
Running of the Barfoot and Thompson Auckland Cup and winner presentations, from 5.22pm – 5.30pm
Jockey colour: pre-race preparation, jockeys weighing in before and after race
Horse Parade Ring: horse preparation and parade, owners oversee final walkthrough
BARFOOT AND THOMPSON
AUCKLAND CUP DAY DERBY – FACTS AND
The average riding weight of the Jockeys will be 54kg.
Expected crowd numbers of over 10,000 for Cup Week
$1,300,000 of Stakes on offer
length of Ellerslie’s track is 1,876m
· The length of Ellerslie’s home straight 382m
· 16.9kms will be run by the horses on Barefoot & Thompson Auckland Cup Day
· Rock Diva won the 2015 Auckland Cup.
Clerks of the Courses only ever ride grey horses. There will
be three on course on the day
· Over 400 horse shoes will be used
· A maximum of 18 horses will race in the Barfoot and Thompson Auckland Cup
Over 250 temporary food and beverage staff will be working on the day and the Events Centre will use:
· 150kg prime angus beef rib
· 120kg indian slipper lobster
· 150 dozen half shell rock oysters
· 150kg Ellerslie brown sugar and mustard glazed ham
· A mixture of over 1500 freshly made ciabatta and wholemeal gourmet rolls
· Over 1500 bottles of Mumm Champagne have been ordered for Cup Week
· A 15 litre bottle of Mumm Champagne has been flown in from France
· Over 200 natural succulents and plants make up the botanical Swisse glasshouse
· The hottest ticket in town is the new Mumm Racing Village with live performances from DJ duo Sweet Mix Kids, tickets are selling out fast.