TOKA - to be solid or stand strong
The new 3 track EP from Baitercell
Te Wai Te Ora, Te Pukumeke and Hine Ruru ft. Huia and Rei, thanks to Te Māngai Pāho.
With beautiful slick Kog Studio production, deep bass with conscious and political lyrics in te reo Māori (NZ’s first language) Baitercell is one of NZ’s most influential electronic music acts that over the last 24 years has helped pioneer dance music in Aotearoa and worked with a huge range of artists.
Currently including Rei and Huia and drummer Corey Freidlander, this new world fusion is the future of Aotearoa NZ music, with our nations languages being interwoven more into our music scope everyday.
Baitercell Music history is extensive but some highlights includes:
• Two number ones on the World Breakbeat dance music charts (for What’s Down Low, and Cobra)
• The most played song on NZ alternative radio (e.g. the b.net) for the entire year in 2003 (Lay It Down)
• Finalist at the Vodafone NZ Music awards for ‘Best Electronic Album’
• Writing Drum n Bass tracks for Huia Hamon’s ‘Ata’ EP and Āio which was a finalist for Best Female Solo Artist and hit #16 on NZ charts, also Hine Ruru sits at #20 on the NZ charts
• Headlined many of Aotearoa’s largest and most prestigious festivals including Splore, RnV, Gathering, The Big Day Out (RIP) and for loads of venues around the country.