Phil Goff Audio 8/8/11: Share Market "Uncertainty" & More
Phil Goff Audio 8/8/11: Share Market "Uncertainty" & MoreAudio by Reesh Lyon
Phil Goff this afternoon briefed the media on:
• International & Domestic share market "uncertainty" & economic recovery: Government has "head in the sand" thinking asset sales and tax cuts for rich will help NZ's economy.
• Economy: outlines ways in which Labour aims to lift NZ's economy: monetary & tax policy changes, boosting R&D funding and up-skilling population.
• Wages: attacks Government for policies that would "cut wages."
• Milk Prices: inquiry needed into the price of raw milk, despite claims milk prices are set globally. Not right that in a country that produces milk that people pay more than in countries where milk is imported.
• Milk Prices Inquiry: Government "last to the party" on decision to hold an inquiry.
• GST: no decision on whether Labour would take GST off milk.
• Milk price choices: not an option for all people to "shop around for milk," but prices do vary greatly.
• Mana Party support: not concerned that Mana will syphon off Labour votes. Swing towards Labour in te Tai Tokerau by-election indicates strong support. People "turned off" by squabbling between Maori & Mana Parties.
• Asset Sales: "It's a dumb Idea to sell your assets... and most people don't believe that it makes economic sense to flog off your assets," especially in a time of international uncertainty when prices would be low.
• Compulsory Savings:
still working on savings policy. Wont' rule
compulsory savings in or out. • Warren Tucker &
• Warren Tucker & SIS:hasn't spoken with Warren Tucker this week. Not impressed that blogger Cameron Slater apparently received information from SIS before media did.
• Future SIS Briefings: will have someone with clearance to sit in on future meetings. Next meeting with Warren Tucker later this month.
• CERA review panel appointments: hasn't seen documentation, more info from Clayton Cosgrove's office.