TV1 6pm News (First Segment)
John Tamihere In Trouble Again - Tamihere: Reaction In The House - Gisborne Cervical Inquiry - Changes For State Highway One - Police Search For Hotel Robbers - Lord Of The Rings Charges - Mark Todd Gets Olympic Funding
JOHN TAMIHERE IN TROUBLE AGAIN: Labour MP John Tamihere is being accused of not coming clean about his past driving convictions. A NBR article published today quoted court records which showed Tamihere had five driving convictions rather than the three convictions he initially disclosed.
- TAMIHERE: REACTION IN THE HOUSE: NZ First leader Winston Peters says Tamihere should resign for misleading Parliament. Prime Minister Helen Clark says she accepts Tamihere's assertion the discrepancy was a mistake.
- GISBORNE CERVICAL INQUIRY: An Australian gynaecologist told the Gisborne cervical cancer inquiry the misreading of cervical smear tests by former pathologist Dr Michael Bottrill was “as bad as it gets.”
- CHANGES FOR STATE HIGHWAY ONE: Changes are being made to a stretch of State Highway One north of Wellington, after two car accidents yesterday claimed five lives. Transit New Zealand says it plans to ban overtaking in the area, widen the road and install a video monitoring system. Seven people have died on the stretch since April.
- POLICE SEARCH FOR HOTEL ROBBERS: Police are looking for three armed men who were caught on video robbing a hotel in Mangare.
- LORD OF THE RINGS CHARGES: Two men have appeared in the Auckland District Court on charges of theft and money laundering from Peter Jackson’s Lord Of The Rings film set.
- MARK TODD
GETS OLYMPIC FUNDING: Controversial equestrian Mark Todd is
set to receive targeted funding for the 2000 Sydney
Olympics, despite accusations from a British tabloid that he