The Christchurch Press
Aust Social Security - Cathedral Square - Meat Workers - Airline Death - Fire Fighter Ferrying - Twins
- AUST SOCIAL SECURITY The Prime Minister will be in dole talks with John Howard during the weekend. Helen Clark told the press that eligibility for New Zealanders to get into Australia would not change, however if they were to be entitled to social security they would have to go as permanent migrants.
- CATHEDRAL SQUARE Architect Ian Athfield, who has been employed to redevelop the square, has described it as the nations living room.
- MEAT WORKERS Thousands of meat workers are set to return to work today after 84% of vets voted to end the strike. The pay rise is said to cost $720,000, and involve a 4% pay rise.
- AIRLINE DEATH An airline passenger who died mid flight was noticed until the Hong Kong to Singapore flight landed.
- FIRE-FIGHTER FERRYING Wellington Fire-fighters were initially not allowed on a fully booked ferry during the post-Christmas Marlborough fires. However after Lynda Scott go involved, the sailing took place with 23 fire fighters and 5 vehicles. Tranz Rail carried the load free of charge.
- TWINS the Christchurch Multiple birth club meet yesterday in Spencer Park for their annual picnic.
- Bunkle, Hobbs set to be stood dow
- Government cashing up high
- cost diplomatic residences
- Prebble ready to defend disclosure - Holmes given bank credit
- Law change make make sentence appeals easier
- PM queries Shipley living arrangement
- MP, bishop clash on gay adoption
World: New disease
crisis hits farms in UK
Sport: Black Caps lose again
Editorial: Strike's ill omens