1. TAX CUTS - National has hinted at tax cuts. Treasurer Bill English says a cut of three cents off the corporate rate would boost the economy. Labour and the Alliance say National is trying to buy votes and the cut is not credible. ACT says the rate should be 20 cents not 33 cents as currently. English says the cuts would be possible with careful management of the economy.
2. DEATH PENALTY - Mark Middleton, who has been charged with threatening to kill the man who murdered his step-daughter, is to run for Parliament on one platform - bringing back the death penalty.
3. COUNCIL MERGER - Rate payers in the Hawke's Bay region have been voting today on whether the two local councils should merge.
4. TANKER RETURNS - The naval tanker Endeavour has returned to New Zealand after a tour of duty in East Timor.
5. ARMY POPULAR - Our involvement in East Timor has had a positive spin-off for the Army. There has been a 15% jump in those wishing to join up.
CUP - Rugby fans are in for a sleepless weekend with the
semi-finals of the World Cup