Tua Vs Ustinov Is On!
Tua Vs Ustinov Is On!
Press Release for immediate release
THE highly anticipated heavyweight clash between David Tua and Alexander Ustinov has not yet been postponed, promoter David Higgins said today.
Tua, who is slated to fight the giant Russian in their Hyrd8ZERO David vs Goliath blockbuster at Claudelands’ Arena on August 31, suffered a minor calf strain while training.
The initial professional advice from Team Tua’s doctor is that it is a Grade One tear – the least serious of muscle strains.
Mr Higgins – whose company Duco Events is promoting the Hyrd8ZERO David vs Goliath show – said Tua will continue to be accessed over the next few days.
“At this stage though, it is business as usual,” Mr Higgins said.
“David Tua has undergone an ultrasound and we will know the results of that soon. At that stage we will seek professional advice about the next step forward.
“But regardless of all of that, the Hyrd8ZERO David vs Goliath clash will go ahead. Of that there is no doubt.
“At this stage we are still aiming for August 31. But if David Tua needs time to heal, then we will postpone the fight for, at the most, four weeks from the original fight date.
“But, again, I can guarantee you, ticketholders and our suppliers that the fight between David Tua and Alexander Ustinov will go ahead.”
Tua is taking the injury in his stride.
“It is what it is,” he said. “From this point on it is about being smart.
“In the past I have gone into fights carrying injuries but the stakes are too high at the moment.
“I have to do everything I can to make sure I heal as quickly as possible and get back to full strength as quickly as possible.
“I have had the chance to meet Alexander Ustinov in the last few days and seen the challenge that awaits me in the ring.
“That challenge excites me. It’s going to be a great fight. But right now, I have to be smart and make sure I’m healthy going into the bout.”
Hydr8 ZERO David vs Goliath
THE MAIN EVENT COMBATANTS:
• Olympic bronze medallist 1992
• Has knocked out four heavyweight world champions (John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev, Hasim Rahman and Michael Moorer)
• Set a world record for punches thrown in a heavyweight fight (vs Ike Ibeabuchi in 1997
• Fought for the sports’ greatest prize, the Heavyweight Championship of the World in 2000
• Ranked No 48 greatest puncher of all time byRing Magazine
• Won New Zealand’s Fight of the Century in 2009 in devastating style against Shane Cameron.
• His last punch in the ring, thrown in August 2011, broke the jaw of Monte Barrett and has just undergone 6 month brutal training camp and is in the best shape of his career
• Tua on fighting Ustinov: “I told the guys at Duco that I would fight anyone. And I am a man of my word. Alexander will be a challenging opponent on a number of levels. But I need ‘challenging’. I am boxing again because I eventually want to have another shot at the heavyweight title. That chance will never come if I run from fights. And that is something I have never done. I’m excited about the fight. The key now is to continue to work hard and make sure that come fight night I am in the best position possible to make a statement against Alexander and announce to the world that David Tua is serious about fulfilling his destiny.
RECORD: Wins 52 (KO 43), Lost 4, Drawn 2
• Stands 6 ft 7½ inches tall
• Currently ranked within top 10 in the World IBF and WBA
• Only one loss, to World IBF number 1 ranked Kubrat Pulev
• Has won 28 of 29 Heavyweight Fights
• Awarded the prestigious medal Order of Courage for 'Services to the Fatherland’ as a combat soldier in the Chechen campaign
• Four time winner one the K1 GP series (Russia and Spain in 2003 and Italy and Belgium in 2005)
• Promoted by the World Heavyweight Champion Klitschko brothers
• Is a former European Boxing Association heavyweight champion – 2010-2012
• Is a former IBO Inter-Continental heavyweight champion
RECORD: Wins 28 (KO 21), Lost 1, Draws 0
WHAT: Hydr8 ZERO David vs Goliath, David Tua vs Alexander Ustinov
DATE: Saturday 31 August, 2013
VENUE: Claudelands Arena, Hamilton, New Zealand
BROADCAST: Live on Sky TV’s pay-per-view channel SKY ARENA from 7.00pm
Sky Customers can book by texting TUA to 4024
General Admission tickets are on sale atwww.ticketek.co.nz
Corporate Table tickets are on sale at www.ducoevents.co.nz
Sponsor: Hydr8 ZERO
Hydr8 ZERO is a new electrolyte enhanced sports drink with ZERO sugar ZERO carbs. Formulated for both the professional or everyday recreational athlete striving for any edge in performance and recovery. All the electrolytes you need, none of the sugar you don’t. Nothing’s as good as ZERO.