World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Bush, Gates Comment On Partial War Funding


By Fred W. Baker III

Bush, Gates Comment on Partial War Funding Approved by Congress

WASHINGTON, Dec. 20, 2007 - President Bush and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates today thanked Congress for approving emergency defense spending yesterday, but both men said more money is needed to prosecute the war on terror and other defense operations.

The $70 billion in funds for the war on terror Congress approved yesterday will forestall Army and Marine Corps civilian furloughs, but still falls short of fully funding defense operations, officials said.

Congress yesterday approved a $555 billion omnibus spending bill with $70 billion in emergency funds earmarked for the war on terror. The funds were approved without any timetable for troop withdrawal, the point of contention between some in Congress and the White House that led to a last-minute passage before a holiday recess.

"I appreciated that they included a down payment on the funding request for our troops on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq without an artificial timetable for withdrawal," Bush said in a White House news conference. "These brave men and women are risking their lives to protect us, and they deserve the full support of the U.S. government."

"It will give us the money to run the war for several more months, but our total request was for $189 billion for the supplemental," Gates said in an interview. "So this is forcing us to plan short-term and to make decisions short-term, and there may be a worse way to manage a huge operation and do everything short-term, sort of month-to-month, but I can't think of it.

"So, (I am) grateful to the Congress for providing us with this $70 billion, but providing us the money in fits and starts like this makes long-term planning and doing things the most efficient possible way almost impossible," Gates said.

Congress passed a $460 billion Defense Appropriations Act for 2008, but this is not enough to fund ongoing operations, officials said.

Above the $55.7 billion needed to continue fighting, the emergency appropriation also will provide money for $1.1 billion in military pay and benefits, $6 billion to replace and repair combat equipment, $4.3 billion to fund counter-improvised-explosive-device efforts, and $2.9 billion for Iraqi and Afghan security forces, according to DoD officials.

It will not, however, provide money needed to pay U.S. troops for the full year, and operating funds will run out again in the spring, officials said. Equipment replacements will be delayed, and money for Iraq and Afghan security forces will run out in spring as well.

The House passed a $50 billion bill in November with funds to continue operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it included legislation that directed the president to withdraw most combat troops from Iraq by December 2008. The measure failed in the Senate, and the president vowed to veto any bill that includes a troop-withdrawal timetable.

Earlier this month, Gates requested to shift $3.7 billion from Navy and Air Force payrolls and an $800 million excess in the working capital fund to Army and Marine Corps operations. If funding would have been delayed, it could have affected as many as 200,000 civilian employees and contractors, DoD officials reported earlier.

ENDS

Latest World News | Top World News | World Digest | Archives | RSS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 


Palestinian Ministry of Health: Developments In The Health Situation During The Israeli Aggression On The Cities & Governorates Of The Gaza Strip
For the second day in a row, the Israeli aggression against the Gaza Strip continues by targeting overcrowded residential areas and neighborhoods, as the death toll rose to 13 citizens, including a 5-year-old girl and a 23-year-old woman... More>>


UN: Horn Of Africa Faces Most ‘Catastrophic’ Food Insecurity In Decades, Warns WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Tuesday that the Greater Horn of Africa is experiencing one of the worst famines of the last 70 years... More>>

FAO: Warns 90 Per Cent Of Earth’s Topsoil At Risk By 2050
A full 90 per cent of the Earth’s precious topsoil is likely to be at risk by 2050, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO...
More>>


Somalia: ‘We Cannot Wait For Famine To Be Declared; We Must Act Now’
Rising acute food insecurity in Somalia has caused more than 900,000 people to flee their homes in search of humanitarian assistance since January last year, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned... More>>

UN: American West Faces Water And Power Shortages Due To Climate Crisis
Two of the largest reservoirs in the United States are at dangerously low levels due to the climate crisis and overconsumption of water, which could affect water and electricity supply for millions in six western states and Mexico, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) warned on Tuesday... More>>



Singapore: UN Experts Call For Immediate Moratorium On Executions For Drug Offences

UN experts* today condemned the execution of Nazeri Bin Lajim, a 64-year-old Malay Singaporean national convicted of drug offenses and urged the Government of Singapore to halt plans to execute individuals on death row for drug related charges... More>>