World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

DR Congo: UN Unable To Confirm Rwandan Incursions

UN Unable To Confirm Reports Of Rwandan Incursions Into Eastern DR Congo

New York, Oct 9 2008 3:10PM

The United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has not been able to confirm persistent reports of incursions by Rwandan troops into the eastern part of the vast country where they are said to be fighting alongside rebels.

The mission, known by its French acronym MONUC, called on the parties to reactivate their joint verification mechanism in North Kivu province, where the army and the rebel National Congress for People’s Defence (CNDP) of General Laurent Nkunda have been skirmishing in recent weeks.

MONUC is in close contact with the Government and the CNDP, and is urging both sides to return to their positions to avoid further clashes and to comply with a disengagement plan that the mission has presented to both parties, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson Michele Montas told reporters in New York today.

“I want to make it clear that the Mission is operating under a Chapter VII mandate,” she said, referring to a clause that authorises UN forces to use force if necessary. “It has resorted to the use of force to protect civilians under threat from armed groups in eastern DRC and in response to threats to main access roads.”

In recent weeks MONUC peacekeepers backed by combat helicopters opened fire to prevent the CNDP from advancing in the direction of Goma, North Kivu’s capital.

Hostilities have continued in eastern DRC despite stabilization in much of the rest of the vast country, which was torn by years of civil war. Last week, the DRC called for UN peacekeepers to be given a clear mandate and the resources necessary to impose peace by force if necessary.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 




UN: “COVID-19 Is Not Over”, Tedros Warns World Health Assembly

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told global health Ministers on Sunday that although reported COVID-19 cases and deaths have declined significantly, it is not time to lower the guard... More>>



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>





Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>