World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

IPCDA Condemns Savage Attack On Camp Ashraf

IPCDA Condemns Savage Attack On Camp Ashraf and Killing of Innocent Civilians

Call for UN and US Presence In the Camp to Save the Wounded

We had been warning about this for some time. The United Nations and the Government of the United States gave us assurances about the safety and security of the residents in Camp Ashraf. This morning we were informed that a hideous assault by the Iraqi army on Camp Ashraf that started at midnight on Sunday 1 September has been continuing until now.

At least 24 bodies have been counted as dead and a large number of residents are severely injured. A number of residents have been kidnapped by the Iraqi army and taken as hostages. Others were shot and killed while in handcuffs. Army units have been firing RPG rockets at each building before entering them and opening a round of lethal fire.

We call on the UN and UK and US government to call on Nuri al-Maliki to stop this criminal attack. The UN Security Council should condemn the attack immediately. UN, UK and US forces must go to the site immediately to help the wounded and rescue the hostages.

We are appalled to hear of this attack while we have been continually warning the US and UN officials about it. Decades ago we made a promise not to let such massacres to take place again. Shame on those who remain silent.

Brian Binley MP said: “I have no doubt that the Iraqi government which is increasingly feeling as a tool of the Iranian regime that the world’s focus is clearly directed at events in Syria, and consequently the Iraqis feel that they can get away with this atrocity. This must not be allowed to happen. I am consequently calling on all Western governments, but especially the Americans and the British, to take action to stop this atrocity immediately.”

Brian Binley MP
President, International Parliamentary Campaign in Defence of Ashraf
1 September 2013

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 



UN: Bachelet Calls On Mexico To Step Up Efforts As Tragic Milestone Reached Of More Than 100,000 Disappearances

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet on Tuesday called on the Mexican authorities to step up efforts to ensure truth and justice for victims of disappearances, who now number more than 100,000, according to official data... More>>


ADC: Statement On The Assassination Of Shireen Abu Akleh

Early this morning in Jenin, Occupied Palestine, revered Palestinian voice Shireen Abu Akleh, a Palestinian American journalist for Al Jazeera, was assassinated by Israeli Occupation Forces snipers...
More>>



Ukraine: UN Rights Office Probe Spotlights Harrowing Plight Of Civilians

Almost 76 days since Russia invaded Ukraine, countless civilians remain caught up in the horror and destruction of war, UN rights investigators said on Tuesday... More>>



Access Now: Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout Must Not Come At The Expense Of Human Rights

Following today’s announcement that Elon Musk will acquire complete ownership of Twitter in a cash sale of around 44 billion USD, pending shareholder approval, Access Now urges Twitter’s Board, employees, and shareholders... More>>



UN: Biodiversity And Ecosystem Protection Highlighted On Mother Earth Day

Marking International Mother Earth Day, UN General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid urged on Friday, for collective action to safeguard biodiversity and protect ecosystems... More>>

Ukraine: Hundreds More Reach Safety After Fleeing Besieged Mariupol
In Ukraine, humanitarians said on Wednesday that hundreds of people have managed to reach safety after fleeing Mariupol, where there’s also been condemnation for the killing of Lithuanian filmmaker Mantas Kvedaravicius... More>>