Services and facilities affected by power cuts
Media Advisory Note – 12 June
Summary and update on Manukau City Council services and facilities affected by today’s power cuts
The adverse weather conditions experienced today resulted in power cuts in parts of Manukau City. Council’s Business Continuity Plans were put into practice and a number of Council services and facilities were impacted, as follows:
8.30am Power lost across the city affecting the following facilities:
Highland Park Library
Mangere Bridge Library
Mangere Town Centre Library
Moana Nui a Kiwa leisure centre
Lloyd Elsmore Leisure Centre
Pakuranga Youth Centre
Manurewa Aquatic Centre – Ngaa Mahi a Rehia
Howick Recreation Centre
Papatoetoe Centennial Pools
Otara Leisure Centre
Citizens Advice Bureaux in library complexes
Tupu Dawson Road Library
11.45am Power lost at Kotuku House – call centre and citizen and customer centre closed.
Manukau Memorial Gardens open with limited operations – services and burials continue but cremations cannot.
Four libraries close: Mangere Bridge, Mangere Town Centre, Pakuranga and Highland Park Library
Four leisure centres close: Howick, Lloyd Elsmore, Pakuranga Youth Centre and Manurewa Aquatic Centre – Nga Mahi a Rehia.
Childcare centres at Howick and Lloyd Elsmore making decisions on whether to send children home. Not actioned.
12.05pm Power returns to Kotuku House, Call Centre and Customer Centre re-opens.
12.20pm Nathan Homestead, Allan Brewster Recreation centre, open but no power, public sessions cancelled for the afternoon.
Pakuranga Youth Centre remains closed due to flooding and loss of power.
Moana Nui a Kiwa leisure centre in Mangere, fitness centre open, pool closed.
Mangere Town Centre, Mangere Bridge and Pakuranga libraries remain closed.
Mangere and Pakuranga Citizens Advice Bureau remain closed.
1.30pm All services provided by Council from Council premises are operational, except for the following:
- Nathan Homestead – open but no power. Public sessions and childcare cancelled
- Allan Brewster leisure centre – open but no power, public sessions cancelled.
- Pakuranga Youth Centre – closed due to flooding and power outage.
- Moana Nui A Kiwa – fitness centre open. Pool and stadium closed.
- Papatoetoe Centennial Pools – closed.
- Libraries – all open except Tupu Dawson road and Manurewa Library.
- Manukau Memorial Gardens open but with limited operations. Burials and services continue but no cremations.
3.00pm All pools re-opened