Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Drive-through surveys help future planning

Transit New Zealand
Christchurch Regional Office
7 March 2007
Media release

Drive-through surveys help future planning for Christchurch roads

Christchurch’s motorists may see some new signs on roads around the region during March. From Monday March 12, ‘TRAFFIC SURVEY’ signs will indicate the approach to a temporary drive-through site for either a roadside interview survey or the handout of a questionnaire.

The surveys form part of a major study jointly promoted by Transit New Zealand, Environment Canterbury, Christchurch City Council, Waimakariri District Council and Selwyn District Council with funding from Land Transport New Zealand.

A random sample of drivers will be invited to provide information relating to their journey; where they have come from, where they are going to, and the purpose of their trip. This data will be combined with a number of recently undertaken travel surveys to help complete the picture of how, why, when and where people travel within Greater Christchurch.

“These are the first comprehensive travel surveys in Christchurch since 1990” says project manager Michael Blyleven.

“The results will build a more accurate picture of drivers’ movements, which will help in developing a better transport system for Greater Christchurch that reflects the needs of current and future users.”

He says that motorists will either be asked a few brief questions at the roadside or be handed a reply-paid questionnaire to complete and return. The survey will not take long, and while it is not compulsory, co-operation from motorists who are asked to take part in this important exercise is greatly appreciated. Drivers should follow instructions given by the survey staff to minimise any inconvenience.

The company commissioned to conduct the surveys, Traffic Design Group Ltd, says they received excellent co-operation from drivers during trial traffic surveys in February, when around 4,000 drivers responded to interviews or returned a completed freepost questionnaire. During the March traffic surveys, travel information will be gathered from a further 25,000 drivers from various locations within Greater Christchurch.

For more information please see the Travel Survey website www.greaterchristchurch.org.nz/travelsurvey

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels