Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch Earthquake - NZ Defence Force – Update 3

Wednesday 23 February

Christchurch Earthquake - NZ Defence Force – Update 3

Crew from the Royal New Zealand Navy’s Multi-purpose Vessel HMNZS CANTERBURY will be preparing over 700 meals for the people of Lyttelton, Governor’s Bay and Diamond Harbour following yesterday’s earthquake.

Navy personnel are also helping with security in the area. Meanwhile elements from the NZ Army have disembarked from the ship and have relocated to Burnham to assist with the effort in Christchurch.

At Burnham Military Camp Chefs from 3rd Catering and Supply Company are delivering 750 meals into the city - 300 for Police, 300 for Fire Service and 250 for New Zealand Defence Force personnel. These numbers are changing and are expected to increase by 100 police by breakfast time.

All up 3rd Logistics Battalion are producing 3900 extra meals a day to support the earthquake effort.

The kitchen is operating 24hr a day to meet this output.

The Chefs are being supported by Stewards to assist with cooking and Supply Technicians to assist in packaging and delivering the meals.

Meanwhile personnel from the Singapore Armed Forces who had been in New Zealand preparing for a joint training exercise, are helping man cordons around the city. A second Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) C-130 has landed with 36 people and 20,000lbs of equipment. An RAAF C-17 is expected to land later this afternoon carrying an additional 72 people plus 40,000lbs of equipment.

Meanwhile Boeing 757s and C-130 Hercules from the Royal New Zealand Air Force are expected to carry approximately 900 people in an out of the city in a series of flights today.

The New Zealand Defence Force effort continues.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news