Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


First Christchurch Earthquake victims identified

MEDIA RELEASE
1845hrs 24 February 2011


First earthquake victims identified

Police have released the names of the first four confirmed victims of the Christchurch earthquake on Tuesday 22 February.

They are:

Joseph Tehau Pohio, age 40, of Christchurch
Jaime Robert McDowell Gilbert, age 22, of Christchurch
Jayden Harris, aged 9 months, of Christchurch
Baxter Gowland, aged 5 months of Christchurch

Update: Corrected Spelling of Christchurch Earthquake Victim's Name

No other names of deceased or missing persons are able to be released at the present time.

Superintendent Dave Cliff said in these four cases the process had reached the threshold of identification which includes a statement from the next of kin.

Police had been working as hard as possible on carrying out a Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) process on bodies which have been located.

Superintendent Dave Cliff said Police had been working as hard as possible on carrying out a Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) process on bodies which have been located.

"At present we have a total of 98 bodies," Supt Cliff said. "Identification of the remainder of these will be a long and complex process. In most cases, visual identification of these bodies is proving to be extremely difficult.

"We have a large team working through the list of those who have been reported missing by loved ones. At this stage we can confirm that we have 226 people listed as missing. Because of our inquiries and the likelihood that these missing people are believed to be in the most severely affected areas of Christchurch we hold serious concerns that they have not survived.

"This number may well grow higher, as there may be overseas nationals who have not been reported missing.

"We have been in touch with all the families of those reported missing, and the Police Family Liaison team have been briefing families this afternoon on all the information available to date. We will continue to provide information and support to the families."

The majority of the 98 confirmed deceased are expected to be included within the 226 missing, Supt Cliff said.

"We have been in discussion with the chief Coroner and have assessed the risks around releasing the names of the missing. As a result the Coroner is firm that we must continue with our process to ensure absolute certainty around identity."

"My plea is that if anyone has reported someone missing, and that person is now safe and well, or if a person knows they have been reported missing, please contact the Red Cross as soon as possible on 0800 733276."

Update: Corrected Spelling of Christchurch Earthquake Victim's Name

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: The PM’s Hair-Pulling Power Trip

There have been striking differences between (a) the account of the waitress involved in the hair-pulling incidents, and (b) the account being given by Prime Minister John Key. The version by the waitress is available here and is recommended to anyone yet to read it. By her account, there were multiple instances of hair-pulling and these persisted and persisted long after she had made her annoyance clear to Key – who had also been advised by his wife, and by other café staff that the behavior was evidently not being welcomed. More>>

ALSO:

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: Is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli? Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915. More>>

MORE IN WEREWOLF:

ALSO:

Peter Ellis Case: Minister Declines Request For Commission Of Inquiry

Justice Minister Amy Adams has declined a request from supporters of Peter Ellis for a Commission of Inquiry on the basis that an inquiry cannot be used to determine the liability of any person. More>>

Quakes: New Process For Red Zone Crown Offers

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced a process to give everyone a say on the Crown offers to owners of vacant, commercial/industrial and uninsured properties in the Residential Red Zone. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news