Students nationwide responding to Christchurch earthquake appeals
Tertiary students are responding to the Christchurch earthquake by opening their hearts and wallets.
Appeals are being launched by students’ associations at universities and polytechnics nationwide during their orientation weeks. These appeals will gather money and goods to assist charities helping with the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake.
“Our sympathies and thoughts are with the people of Canterbury at this terrible time. Beyond the obvious disruption to students’ studies and jobs, it is particularly distressing to see the huge loss of life and injuries in Christchurch,” says NZUSA co-President Max Hardy.
“We support these association drives – alongside major charity appeals, these are positive initiatives given the major impact this earthquake will have on the region and students there. We also commend the work being done by the Lincoln and Canterbury students’ associations and their respective roopu Te Awhioraki and Te Akatoki in helping the volunteer efforts in Christchurch,” says NZUSA co-President David Do..
“Students’ associations have often played an important role in fostering solidarity and harnessing the energy of students during times of crisis. We hope these appeals will complement the excellent and admirable work of the UCSA Student Volunteer Army. It’s great to see students band together in these times,” says Do.
“We encourage students and members of the public to donate and give generously if they are on campus or to other charity appeals being set up at the moment,” concludes Do.
Information on each
campuses’ activities follows. For more information for
each campus please contact each association president, their
contact details are available
• ASA(Massey University Albany) – ASA will have
collection boxes through Orientation week and will give a
donation itself as well
• AUSA(Auckland University) – AUSA has launched a street appeal on campus at the Quad and Student Union which will run continue through its Orientation this week. AUSA is also accepting direct donations.
• WSU(Waikato University) – WSU is
holding an Orientation week drive for cash and non-cash
• SAWIT(Waikato Institute of Technology) - holding an Orientation week drive for cash donations
• MUSA (Massey University) – holding a collection with a team of volunteers, money going to charities supporting victims of the Canterbury Quake. MUSA is also accepting donations at its reception.
• VUWSA (Victoria University) – VUWSA is coordinating an campus appeal drive, with students collecting donations at all Orientation events, throughout Clubs Week, their daily sausage sizzles, at each halls of residence, as well as having a number of campus-wide “roving collectors”. Donations are also welcome at their office.
• LUSA (Lincoln University) – while their campus is directly affected, LUSA is aiding students who are helping clear roads affected by liquefaction. LUSA is also helping facilitate requests of assistance from Lincoln University students(including their friends and families) through Facebook and 0800 LUSA HELP (0800-587-243 – this number will be operational from Friday afternoon)
• OPSA(Otago Polytechnic) – started a collection box
at their offices and will do a collection drive next
• OUSA(Otago University) – holding a collection drive with students collecting donations around campus and Orientation events, fundraising BBQ at Clubs Day, and is also facilitating volunteer efforts to Christchurch if necessary.
NZUSA is the national representative body for tertiary students and has been advocating on student issues since 1929.