Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Official death toll rises as search and rescue continues

12.45pm 25 February

Official death toll rises as search and rescue operation continues

As the search and rescue operation continued in Christchurch city last night the official death toll rose to 113.

Since early afternoon on Tuesday, February 22, there have been 70 people rescued alive.

Superintendent Dave Cliff said that the names of some victims had been published, and that Police were the only first official source of information about victim identities.

"Their names will be released only after the formal identification processes have been carried out and next of kin have been notified," he said.

"There is likely to be a large number of foreign nationals among the victims and this morning we have held another briefing with diplomatic representatives from several countries so that they are fully aware of the victim identification and coronial processes we are following."

Rain is forecast for this afternoon and this has the potential to further destabilise already dangerous unstable masonry and buildings.

The weather may also impact on the USAR operations around the city making it more dangerous for them to do their job.

"Rescue staff are operating in highly dangerous and volatile situations and we are continually reassessing the risks," Mr Cliff said.

Police are also reminding people to stay off the roads. Those providing essential services - including water supplies, diggers, drainlayers etc - are having great difficulty getting through congested traffic outside the cordoned areas.

"Sadly we are continuing to see some disorder around the wider city, with arrests overnight for burglaries, thefts and disorder type offences.

"We urge people to be vigilant, look out for your neighbours, and report any suspicious behaviour - we will follow up."

People can still call their local police stations or 111 to report crime. We will respond to these calls.

As many patrols as possible are being put out into the suburbs. If you have crime concerns please approach them for advice. We are grateful for the assistance of the Defence Force.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news