Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Rotorua Mayor to lead 2 minutes silence at Civic Centre


News Release
Monday 28 February 2011

Rotorua Mayor to lead 2 minutes silence at Civic Centre

ROTORUA 28.02.11: Mayor Kevin Winters will be leading council staff in observing two minutes silence tomorrow (Tuesday 1 March) at 12.51pm to honour Christchurch earthquake victims and to show support for the city's survivors.

He is inviting other residents to join him at the Civic Centre or else to stop for two minutes wherever people are at that time.

Staff and visitors to the council Civic Centre will gather outside the Hinemaru St entrance where flags are at half mast just before 12.51pm tomorrow, exactly one week since the devastating earthquake hit Christchurch.

Arrangements to observe two minutes silence follow a request from the prime minister John key for all New Zealanders to stop what they are doing for two minutes at 12.51pm.

Mayor Winters said that staff in other council locations are also making arrangements to pause at 12.51 to remember those who have suffered so much in Christchurch over the last week.

"It is an appropriate time for a brief period of quiet reflection, for thoughts of sympathy to those who have lost so much, and to show support for those who are trying to get through this enormous tragedy," said Mr Winters.

Mayor Winters is also inviting Rotorua residents to call into the Civic Centre at any time during office hours to sign a message book for Christchurch earthquake victims. He said the book would be sent to Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker at a later date to show that Rotorua residents stand alongside Christchurch people during this difficult time.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Open Source // Open Society - Full Coverage

GCSB's China Shopping: Key Damages China Relationship

Evidence that the Key Government recklessly approved a GCSB spying operation to intercept Chinese diplomatic communications between offices in Auckland will pointlessly damage our relationship with China, the Green Party said today.

The latest Snowden documents detail plans by the New Zealand spy agency, the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB), to tap Chinese diplomatic communications between their two consular offices in Auckland. The papers don’t reveal if the operation, a joint project with the US National Security Agency (NSA), went ahead but we have no reason to think it did not. More>>

 
 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Reserve Bank And Auckland Housing>

The ‘crisis – what crisis?’ response by the government to the Auckland housing price bubble is no longer acceptable. So says Reserve Bank governor Grant Spencer... More>>

ALSO:

Bangladesh: GCSB Dragging NZ Into Human Rights Abuses

The New Zealand government should stop providing intelligence assistance to Bangladeshi security agencies that are known to systematically engage in human rights abuses, said the Green Party today. More>>

ALSO:

Troops Heading To Iraq: Government Must Come Clean On Deployment

New Zealanders deserve more than to hear about their troops’ deployment overseas from Australian media, Opposition Leader Andrew Little says. “News from Australia that Kiwi troops are on their way to Iraq this week is another example of the culture of secrecy and unknown protections around the deployment.” More>>

ALSO:

Image: Strikers And Protestors Join Outside McDonald's

A group of protestors took to McDonald’s Manners St today as a part of the international fast food workers day of action to end zero hour contracts. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Special Education Funds Not Spent

More than $32 million of funding for children with special needs has not been spent by the Government, despite families of children with special needs complaining for years that they’ve been denied the support they deserve. More>>

ALSO:

John Key: Pre-Budget Speech To Business NZ

So this Government will remain relentlessly focused on improving the competitiveness of our economy... We will continue to give businesses a platform to invest, grow and create jobs in the knowledge they will be backed by a clear and consistent government policy programme. More>>

ALSO:

Multimedia: Andrew Little’s Response To John Key’s Pre-Budget Address

Labour Party leader Andrew Little spoke today on John Key’s pre-budget address this afternoon in Wellington. Little said National has had seven years to achieve a surplus and Kiwis have “fufilled their end of the bargain.” More>>

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news