Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Residents Asked to Dispose of Bricks and Rubble

Media Release 7:20pm Sunday 6th March: Residents Asked to Dispose of Bricks and Rubble

Residents are being reminded they need to dispose of bricks and rubble and other material themselves.

Bricks and rubble and other demolition material will not be collected through a kerbside collection.

Council staff say the machinery and manpower is better targeted at getting rubbish and other degradable waste cleared as this can have public health consequences. Bricks and rubble are inert so are not considered a priority.

Residents should take bricks and rubble to Council EcoDepots for disposal. The cost of disposal for bricks and rubble separated from other rubbish and material has been reduced to $25 per tonne since the September quake. Residents can claim the costs back from EQC or their insurance, so please retain your receipt.

All other refuse will be charged at the usual $209 per tonne.

It is acknowledged some residents may expect to dump bricks and rubble for free but Council says it needs to recover some costs from users of the service to ensure the cost is not passed on to ratepayers.

With the reduction in disposal costs and the ability to claim from insurance it is expected residents will take advantage of the opportunity.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news