Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch Earthquake - Auckland Memorial Service

Christchurch Earthquake - Auckland Memorial Service

Details have been released of the Auckland memorial service of condolence and hope being held in response to the Christchurch Earthquake tragedy.

The service will be held at the Cenotaph in the Auckland Domain tomorrow evening (Friday 18 March).

It will follow the National Memorial Service in Christchurch, which the Mayor will attend on behalf of the people of Auckland.

The hour-long Auckland memorial service will take place at 7pm.

The service will include reflections from prominent Aucklanders and members of the emergency services as well as a memorial tribute from the Mayor.

A bell will be rung and there will be a period of silence to remember and give thanks for the lives of those who died as a result of the earthquake.

Floral tributes will be laid on the Cenotaph led by the Mayor.

Len Brown is encouraging Aucklanders to take part in the service. “It is important we take time to reflect on Christchurch's loss, spirit, courage and resilience as we continue to work with the people of Canterbury in their time of need,” he says.

The victims of the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan will also be remembered during the service.

Auckland Transport, NZ Bus and Ritchies are providing free bus services for people attending the Christchurch memorial service in Auckland Domain this Friday.

Both the LINK and a special shuttle bus from downtown to Auckland Domain will be free.

The free shuttle bus from stop D11 outside the Mercure Hotel on the corner of Customs St east and Queen St in the CBD will run every 10 minutes from 5.30pm to 7pm and after the service from the domain between 8pm and 9pm.

Passengers can wave down the bus from existing bus stops on the route along Customs St, Anzac Ave, Symonds St and Park Rd.

Alternatively people can travel free on existing LINK services to and from the Domain between 5.30pm and 7pm and after the service from 8pm until 9pm.

Auckland Transport says the free buses are a small gesture to help Aucklanders take a moment to reflect and show their respects for those affected by the earthquake.

Auckland Museum will remain open until 9pm following the ceremony.

Auckland Transport thanks NZ Bus and Ritchies for their support in providing the free services.

For more information on buses available for the service visit www.maxx.conz.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news