Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Restored Carillon sound as a bell

Pukeahu National War Memorial Park will be the site of a double celebration on Wednesday with the reopening of the restored National War Memorial Carillon and the unveiling of theWellington’s Bell Stories interactive display.

The majority of the 74 Carillon bells were gifted by families to honour their loved ones who died in the First World War, with the rest dedicated to battles, military units, and related groups.

Commissioned and donated by Wellington City Council as part of its WW100 commemorations, the Wellington’s Bell Stories display provides an interactive visual and audio experience, with an in-depth look at the stories behind five of the Carillon bells donated by Wellingtonians.

The permanent display located in the National War Memorial foyer will add to the overall experience of the more than 60,000 visitors each year, says Mayor Justin Lester.

“For the past four years we have been commemorating the Great War through numerous projects, events, and ceremonies in our WW100 programme – all of which have acted as a reminder of the massive toll the First World War took on the country, the capital, and its communities.

“This display is a permanent remembrance, and also an engaging way to find out more about the significance of the bells, and the stories behind the names they’re dedicated to,” says Mayor Lester.

Paul James, Chief Executive Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage, is pleased to see the Carillon earthquake strengthened and restored to its former glory.

“It’s been a long process, involving a dedicated team of experts overseeing this remarkably detailed operation, and thanks to them we can now celebrate the bells’ return.

“The National War Memorial Carillon is integral to Pukeahu National War Memorial Park. dedicated to the more than 250,000 New Zealanders who have served overseas and in some cases sacrificed their lives in conflicts and peace-keeping operations,” says Paul James.

A number of descendants of the dedicated bells will attend the event, which Wellington City Councillor Andy Foster has played a part in.

“It’s been a concerted effort between the Ministry of Culture and Council to track down these living descendants to further honour their relatives during this ceremony.

“The bell stories and reopening of the renovated Carillon are fitting tributes and a modern day reminder of our commitment to reflect and remember those who sacrificed their lives over 100 years ago,” adds Councillor Foster.

The unveiling of Wellington’s Bell Stories visitor display on Wednesday 30 May takes place in the National War Memorial Hall, in the presence of Hon Grant Robertson and His Worship Justin Lester Mayor of Wellington.

The unveiling will be followed by a Return of the Bells Carillon recital at 4.15pm by National Carillonist, Timothy Hurd QSM, to celebrate the completion of a four-year restoration of the National War Memorial Carillon.

Members of the public are welcome to attend the recital which will be followed by the daily Last Post ceremony.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels