DB Breweries Swoops Up Most Awards At NZ Beer Cup
May 29, 2002
The country’s second largest brewery, DB Breweries Limited, took home more accolades than any other brewery at the inaugural New Zealand Beer Cup awards at Te Papa last Friday night.
DB Breweries swooped up 14 awards including four Best in Class Trophies, six gold, five silver and two bronze medals.
Among DB Breweries’ Best in Class trophy-winning beers were Export Gold and Flame beer brands both brewed from the Waitemata Brewery in Auckland, and Monteith’s Black Beer and Monteith’s Oud Bruin (the Brew NZ special festive brew) from the Monteith’s Brewing Company in Greymouth.
Head of brewing for DB Breweries, Ross Warren, says he is delighted with the results as they demonstrate the strong portfolio of beers DB Breweries continues to produce.
“As an organisation we pride ourselves on our brewing expertise which begun in the early 1900’s with the opening of the Waitemata Brewery and continued into the 1950’s when technical director Morton Coutts invented the continuous fermentation process which we still use today,” Mr Warren says.
“These latest awards confirm that DB is still producing the best beers in the country and adds to the internationally-recognised Best in Class Trophy our Monteith’s Celtic Beer won at the recent Brewing Industry International Awards in the UK,” he says.
The New Zealand Beer Cup is the country’s pre-eminent beer competition and was run in conjunction with last week’s Brew NZ - an event to celebrate great beer and showcase the diverse range of styles, tastes and aromas of beer available in New Zealand produced by local brewers.
Over 150 New Zealand beers were entered in the competition and were judged by a panel of nine beer experts over three days.
DB Breweries full list of NZ Beer Cup awards include;
- DB Draught - Waitemata Brewery
- DB Export Dry - Waitemata Brewery
- Flame - Waitemata Brewery
- Export Gold - Waitemata Brewery
- Monteith’s Black Beer - Monteith’s Brewing Company (Greymouth Brewery)
- Monteith’s Oud Bruin - Monteith’s Brewing Company (Greymouth Brewery)
- Monteith’s Golden Lager - Monteith’s Brewing Company (Greymouth Brewery)
- Monteith’s Celtic Red - Waitemata Brewery
- Monteith’s Saison - Waitemata Brewery
- Monteith’s Summer Ale - Waitemata Brewery
- DB Natural Light - Mainland Brewery
- Double Brown - Mainland Brewery
- Bulls Eye - Waitemata Brewery
- Radler - Waitemata Brewery