Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Coal miners suspended

June 9, 2005

Coal miners suspended

Coal miners fighting for a fair pay rise have just been suspended.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that Solid Energy had suspended workers who were refusing to load the Huntly coal train at 10am today.

Talks in Christchurch between the miners and Solid Energy and its contractors broke down last night with the company refusing to offer more than a 2.8 per cent pay rise. The workers had dropped their claim from six per cent to five per cent, in line with the union’s Fair Share – Five in ’05 campaign.

Workers at the Huntly East underground mine and nearby Rotowaro open-cast mine imposed an immediate ban on coal loading in the wake of the talks collapsing. Workers at the Stockton open-cast mine at Westport are expected to impose a similar ban, but no other industrial action is planned at this stage.

Mr Little said that it was extremely disappointing that Solid Energy and its contractors were taking such a hard line against their workers.

“All these workers want is a bit of fairness,” he said.

“Their work is difficult, dangerous and dirty. They deserve a decent pay rise, just like everyone else. Coal miners in Australia are paid nearly twice as much as these people earn.”

The miners are also seeking a commitment to pay parity between mines, and had modified the claim in an effort to make progress.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>